Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help dudes! Bbe 362 sonic maximizer????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help dudes! Bbe 362 sonic maximizer????

Hey guys I just picked up a RANDALL RG100ES & I am wanting to know if the BBE 362 SONIC MAXIMIZER WITH N/R will help me get that nice "Tight" Metal Crunch I am looking to get out of this Amp? Not necessarily Dime's tone just that Killer good Metal sound. I have a chance to get one @ a decent price but don't want to get it if it's not going to do anything for me? I have seen some Videos on it & people swear by them! I am also going to add a MXR M-109 6 BAND EQ......Hopefully this will help "Dial" it in! Any Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Steve
    *Kramer Focus 4000 "V" 85' with OFR \m/
    *Kramer Focus 1000 85' with OFR \m/
    *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/
    Randall RG100ES (88') Gray Carpet "THE METAL MONSTER" \m/
    *Ampeg VH140C HEAD....O.M.G. METAL HEAVEN! \m/
    *ADA MP-1 (3.666 RECTO/SOLDANO) MOD* \m/
    *Digitech RP-1 "THE ORIGINAL" \m/
    *Morley Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah \m/

​*LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L!" \m/

Watch this video to see what the Sonic Maximizer *actually* does:

It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
      Watch this video to see what the Sonic Maximizer *actually* does:

Thanks for the info on this! It was a very good Video with ALOT of information on the BBE & EXACTLY what it does! It sounds to me like I need to get a MXR 6 OR 10 BAND E.Q. & start there as far as Shaping/Adjusting & finding the sound that I am looking for with my RG100ES! I guess that's why just about everyone who owns a RG100ES uses a E.Q. & runs it through the Effects Loop! I called BBE today & spoke to a Dude in Tech.....He told me that this would get me the KILLER Metal Sound that I was looking for....
      Last edited by axe dude; 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM.
      *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/

Comment

The only way to know if it helps is to try one in your amp. Some amps they help, some they hinder.

The scope trace video has some interesting insights but they are also representing an audio device in a visual way. The last time I played my guitar through a scope the frequency response wasn't perfect sine waves.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I used a 422 A for years and always sounded good.
          I use a BBE sonic stomp on my board and its not as good as the rack units but still does a fine job.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            The only way to know if it helps is to try one in your amp. Some amps they help, some they hinder.

The scope trace video has some interesting insights but they are also representing an audio device in a visual way. The last time I played my guitar through a scope the frequency response wasn't perfect sine waves.
            Yeah Dude I understand what your saying & your Exactly right as far as trying it on my RG100. The Video was a very good amount of info for sure! Still...I think I may try the 362 with & w/o the E.Q. & see what I get. Who knows it may just be the sound that I am looking for! \m/
            Last edited by axe dude; 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              I used a 422 A for years and always sounded good.
              I use a BBE sonic stomp on my board and its not as good as the rack units but still does a fine job.
              Thanks Stray! Dude I just want some HEAVY GOOD SOUNDING METAL that's all! I am gonna go ahead & give it a try...We shall see!!!!!!!!!!!!! \m/
              Last edited by axe dude; 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by axe dude View Post
                Thanks Stray! Dude I just want some HEAVY GOOD SOUNDING METAL that's all! I am gonna go ahead & give it a try...We shall see!!!!!!!!!!!!! \m/
                Get a graphic eq instead. And stay away from the smiley face eq, yes, the exact type of smiley face eq that the BBE makes as shown by the vid. Boosting the highs and lows and basically taking all the midrange out will sound good to you when your playing by yourself. Then when you're playing with a band the highs will get covered up by the cymbals and the lows will get covered up by the bass. And since the mids have been cut the guitar will completely dissappear in the mix and you'll wonder why the amp is cranking and you still can't hear yourself.

I deal with this situation all the time when I'm running sound. Bring the mids back up and holy crap, there's the guitar. Also, be somewhat conservative with the gain. It may sound crunchy and nice but once introduced with other instruments it just turns into an intelligable buzz.
                My Toys:
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                '94 Dinky HX in Black
                '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Remember how a lot of stereos used to have the "loudness" switch? That's pretty much what the BBE does, scoops the mids, and boosts the lows and highs. It takes all the tone out of your amp. I have a 422, and once every couple of years drag it out, hook it up for 5 minutes, and go "oh yeah, that's why I never use this piece of dreck", and shove it back in the closet.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                    Remember how a lot of stereos used to have the "loudness" switch? That's pretty much what the BBE does, scoops the mids, and boosts the lows and highs. It takes all the tone out of your amp. I have a 422, and once every couple of years drag it out, hook it up for 5 minutes, and go "oh yeah, that's why I never use this piece of dreck", and shove it back in the closet.

thats how I am with BBEs too. I had one for awhile for some reason, likely just came with a bunch of rack gear, and it totally sucks the life out of any amp I've run it with.
                    Out Of Ideas

Comment

I've used them with ADA-MP1's and they seem to clean it up and make the tone a little clearer. Gone are the days of the ADA for me and mine now just sits doing nothing. Given the knowledge I have now, I would not have bought it.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info Dudes! I really do appreciate it! That's what so Awesome about the Forum so many Dudes out there with years of experience playing all kinds of gear & can help you out with some Killer info! Interesting to hear how some say it's good & will work while others are like "OH HELL NO!" LOL! I may just go ahead & try the E.Q. First & see how it goes? Either way my RG100ES is a KILLER AMP & has some OVERKILL POWER TO BOOT! (Especially in the House) A Buddy has a MXR 6 BAND E.Q. that I will try & see what happens. Thanks Again Dudes! \m/
                        Last edited by axe dude; 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

The BBE is not an OD just a high low filter of sorts.
                          If you run clean it adds some depth not much else.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I had the 422a in the loop of my Mesa Single Rec. To me, it sounded great live....but, it did not sound as good recorded in a studio. I am sure it was probably a mix issue, but, even with different people at the board, it yielded the same result......a little buzzy sounding.
                            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

The BBE is great for "in the room" tone...I loved what it did for my old rack rig for recording or unaccompanied playing. On the other hand, it will make you disappear in a live mix...took me way too long to figure that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X