X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 3120

Does anyone here own one of these amps?

Peavey 3120

I have an awesome cab but my Randall Head is just not what I thought it was going to be... I still like it and will probably hold on to it for fun but I'm really missing a tube amp.

I watched plenty of youtube vids on the amp but most of the time they are biased and want them to sell... so I ask the honest members here, if anyone has one, their true opinion.

As always I'm looking for that Black Album Metallica distortion.

Seems like the EQ on this amp is what I may be looking for more than the presence/resonance on say the 5150/6505.
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

A guy I know bought one new and I was amazed at how good it sounded straight in. It's essentially the XXX re-named and reboxed except that it ships with EL34's instead of 6L6'S like the XXX. I liked it so much, I bought a XXX, retubed it with EL34's and there you go. Still have it and still dig it to this day. Tons of great tones to dial in with this amp. Just go with medium to low gain preamp tubes because these thing have tons of gain on tap but with the right tubes it's very tameable. Instead of presence, it has a damping switch in the rear of the amp with loose, mid and tight setting. I use the mid setting for better dynamics.

Comment

I agree with plon, great sounding amp, and would likely benefit from Lower gain preamp tubes, as it has a SHITLOAD of gain. Great tone plugged straight in, definitely doesn't need a pedal to take you "home"
      Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
      X