Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody try an MXR bass fuzz deluxe with guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody try an MXR bass fuzz deluxe with guitar?

in my ever more rapid move from metal/hard rock into psychadelia/southern rock, i am finding myself needing a better than decent fuzz pedal. i have tried almost everything out there that isn't high-dollar boutique, and have been left short. my current fav is the Z-vex fuzz factory, but i am still not 100% sold on it. the big muff has been decent, but is a little too robust. i saw that MXR (of whose pedals my board mostly uses) has a bass fuzz that seems interesting...

the bass fuzz deluxe has separate dry/wet controls for blending in the fuzz. the biggest issue i have with the fuzzes i have tried is that they eat up WAY too much frequency and dynamic range. i am wondering/thinking that having the dry/wet controls might allow me to keep some note defintion mixed in.

anyone try one of these? i know it's a long shot, but i figured i'd ask.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Fuzz is a pretty harsh effect that needs to be used really carefully. I've never tried the MXR one you're talking about but i think what you really need is a very versatile gain control, rather than a blend control. Fuzz is the kind of effect you have to adjust your playing to as well. An octave fuzz might give you the note definition you're looking for; i've been on the hunt for a nice well-priced octave fuzz and looked at a few great ones like the Dunlop Octavio, Retroman Octavious, etc. but probably the best one i've found is the Catalinbread Octapussy. They have a wide range of awesome vintage-style effects pedals at reasonable (not boutique) prices and i want them ALL: http://www.catalinbread.com/
    Last edited by Devotee; 01-25-2013, 03:17 AM.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

cool. i checked the video on that pedal. seems pretty neat.

last night i took my strat over to sam ash and tried out the mxr. i was plugged into an early 70s princeton, and the tone was stellar. it was exactly what i was hoping for. my strat sounded like black sabbath (according to the sales guy and my wife). i could blend in my dry signal, which made it seem like i was playing two rigs at once. the tone control on the pedal affects only the fuzz portion, which enabled me to dial in a variety of sounds without changing (i.e., fucking up) my core tone. it responded well to the volume control being rolled back. quite nice!!!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X