Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you recommend for pedals/rack mount stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you recommend for pedals/rack mount stuff?

Okay, so now I am back into a tube amp after about 8 years and need some effects. I am torn between pedals, rackmount or a multi pedal.

Here is what I need....or think I need:

Delay
    Reverb
    Wah
    Chorus
    Tube Screamer
    EQ
    Phaser

And I am sure there is something I am missing.

Here is the way I see things: I need floor control, so if it is a rack, I need to also get a pedal that everything will plug into. Multi-effects pedals, while they offer alot in a single package for a great price, really do nothing as well as the pedals or rack gear..... at least in my experience. Pedals, are kind of a PITA due to all the patch cables, power supplies, etc. -Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

I would go for wah and overdrive stompboxes and modulation and eq in the form of a rack in the loop of the amp. My personal preference would be a Morley wah and TS9 or 808 and a g major or rocktron multivalve/xpression (which can control amp channel switching). In this scenario you will need to run a midi controller out in front to change patches, which is not a great hassle.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Racks for me are just a pain in the ass. I got rid of all of mine and couldn't be happier. With pedals, just get the least amount you will need for the job.

Comment

I run a TS-808 and a crybaby in the front of an amp, and a TC G-sharp (rack) in the loop for effects, treats me very good
        Out Of Ideas

Comment

What kind of amp? Makes a difference if the loop(s) are line or instrument level. And if the channels can be switched via MIDI. Can loop(s) be switched on/off or level adjusted?
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

i have a rack and a pedal set-up. these days i prefer the pedal route. it is easier to get individual effects that do EXACTLY what you want.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
              I would go for wah and overdrive stompboxes and modulation and eq in the form of a rack in the loop of the amp. My personal preference would be a Morley wah and TS9 or 808 and a g major or rocktron multivalve/xpression (which can control amp channel switching). In this scenario you will need to run a midi controller out in front to change patches, which is not a great hassle.
              ^ That's pretty close to what I would suggest.

Or find an older Eventide, it'll do most of what you want I think. I know one of my buddies swears by the ones he's owned. I've played through his for a few minutes, but I've never really played with the unit, just played through his settings. The effects sounded really awesome.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I not dead set on one vs the other. I like rack setups just as much as pedals. With rack stuff you can go to an all in one unit or combine various rack effects, depends what you're after. For an economical way of doing it, a used G-Major or used G-Force can cover most effects and you get less noise than big groups of pedals because you eliminate multiple wall warts, connecting cables, etc... Downside is if you happen to have an amp with no effects loop running it through the front end may not sound optimal. With pedals the advantage is you can pick each effect you want from various manufacturers. That can get expensive but they do sound good provided you use good cabling and decent power supply to power them. I would also recommend a good pedal switcher So you can avoid tap dancing when trying to switch on/off various groups of pedals. Depends how much you want to spend but here are a few I like:
                Tube Screamer: Retro-Sonic Eight O Eight.
                Chorus: MXR Zakk Wylde, Boss CE5, Fulltone Choralflange, Retro-Sonic Chorus.
                Phaser: MXR EVH Phase 90, Retro-Sonic Phaser.
                Delay: Retro-Sonic, MXR.
                Wah: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, Dunlop/CAE 401.
                Reverb: Dr. Scientist Radical Red Reverberator, T-Rex, and if you can find a now out of production Guyatone from their micro series pedals, they made a nice reverb pedal with tiny footprint the MR-2.
                Also, the entire series of TC Electronic Tone Print pedals are great. And of course the Eventide pedals can cover a lot of those effects plus they are switchable between line and instrument level. So you can run them in the loop or through the front of your amp, whichever you prefer.
                The above pedals encompass all kinds of price ranges. It all depends what you want
                Last edited by roodyrocker; 02-12-2013, 09:47 PM.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Predominantly I am a rack guy.So my suggestion is the Digitech GSP1101. You can program wah & phaser/chorus/flanger to be out front (if using 4CM). Then the Control2 to switch patches/effects. It can also change channels on your amp (if your amp responds to midi channel changes).

The "bedroom" setup I am putting together is the Jet City Pico Valve with a CAE boost/overdrive, MXR delay, MXR ZW chorus, Phase 90 & maybe a reverb pedal. I'm not much of a wah guy so no need for that. And possibly will ditch the Phase 90 idea.

As Roody pointed out, if going the pedal route, get a good loop/switcher to avoid alot of tap dancing.
                  KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                  I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Originally posted by Hamner1 View Post
                    Predominantly I am a rack guy.So my suggestion is the Digitech GSP1101. You can program wah & phaser/chorus/flanger to be out front (if using 4CM). Then the Control2 to switch patches/effects. It can also change channels on your amp (if your amp responds to midi channel changes).

The "bedroom" setup I am putting together is the Jet City Pico Valve with a CAE boost/overdrive, MXR delay, MXR ZW chorus, Phase 90 & maybe a reverb pedal. I'm not much of a wah guy so no need for that. And possibly will ditch the Phase 90 idea.

As Roody pointed out, if going the pedal route, get a good loop/switcher to avoid alot of tap dancing.
                    Your pedal setup is similar to one of my boards. This board is the only one I'm not using a pedal switcher on only because I usually don't use combinations of pedals on it for the most part. It has Wah, Rotovibe (I hardly ever use this at all), EVH Phase 90, MXR ZW overdrive, MXR ZW chorus, MXR Carbon Copy delay, Korg Pitchblack tuner. Sometimes I use a Sennheiser wireless and sometimes a cable. Its shown here with the wireless setup:

BTW, if you need a nice reverb thats not too expensive the TC Electronic Hall of Fame is a good one.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                    X