Advice on Randall RM50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Randall RM50

I have an opportunity to pick up an RM50 in palomino tolex or an RM50 Lynch box. Both are combo amps. The palomino is NOS and the Lynch box is used but in "like new" condition. Both come with two modules. Both are asking for around $1,000 but seem willing to negotiate. I know that price is high but what would be real good price and which would be the better choice? Also open to other suggestions in that price range. Started looking at these due to versatility and decent sound at low volume. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would say the black one and swap out the modules if you don't like them. I use an RT50C (non module type combo), and I plug my Boss GT into the FX return, bypassing the amp's preamp.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Actually neither is black. The palomino is kind of tan and the Lynch box is a green gator skin like tolex. Not really crazy about the look of either one but I wouldn't have to have either one shipped. That is pretty much why I am looking at these options. How much does the RT50C run?

Comment

Which modules do the amps come with? I have the Lynch Box one but I took off the hideous Lunch Box skull emblem. Play them both and see which one sounds better. They could have different density/presence boards installed so one of them could sound better than the other one. Also some of the RM50s had a wrong resistor installed in them so they would not allow you to get the bias set high enough for some power tube. I can't remember if it was the 6l6s or the EL34s. $600-700 with 2 modules is closer to what the price should be. I got mine unloaded for $450. Hope this helps.
        RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
        CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
        Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
        Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

What are the modules? Stock used modules are in the $100-150 range. Modded ones are more. Prices on RM50's are kinda all over the place. But I'd guess $500 or less used, don't know about new as they're discontinued. Maybe a bit more for LB or Palomino.. RM100 heads used are going in the $400-500 range for reference.. I personally wouldn'ty play more than about $600 with 2 stock modules because I wait and see deals pretty often. Don't forget the footswitch or MIDI controller pedal.. Add that in price if not included. Good luck man!
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

For a $1000 it better be fully loaded with custom modules

personally, at the same price, I'd go with the lynchbox, 1 more channel, and just pull 2 tube(fuses) for 50 Watts
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I love those amps and have both a combo and head, but used resale value has always been terrible on them even when they were still in production. Now, it''s even worse. I'd say maybe $400 to $450 for one of the heads and around $100 per module if they are stock. That'd be a fair price for both buyer and seller. Really, that's for an online sale and for a local sale, the seller should probably be willing to sell for less since he doesn't have to mess with boxing, shipping, Paypal fees, etc.

Comment

The palomino comes with choice of 2 basic stock modules, the Lynch box has a super v and an XTC. I was leaning toward offering $700 for the Lynch box but I'll look at your suggestions and see if that makes sense. Thanks guys you have been very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                  For a $1000 it better be fully loaded with custom modules

personally, at the same price, I'd go with the lynchbox, 1 more channel, and just pull 2 tube(fuses) for 50 Watts
                  it's a 50 watt LB
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    it's a 50 watt LB
                    Woops, didn't see that, disregard my comment about pulling tubes
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      Woops, didn't see that, disregard my comment about pulling tubes
                      No problem. It's good to know that is an option if I come across a 100w head that looks good. In fact there is one on ebay now for $950.00 with brahma, super v, and mr. scary modules. I was tempted but $950 is alot plus I'd have to buy a cabinet.

Comment

considering that the signature mods are worth more than a standard production module, $950 is little high but not too bad. If you allow $150 per module and you're looking at around $500 for the head by itself

Factor in that shipping can be costly because the RM100 weighs a metric tonne
                        Last edited by VitaminG; 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          considering that the signature mods are worth more than a standard production module, $950 is little high but not too bad. If you allow $150 per module and you're looking at around $500 for the head by itself

Factor in that shipping can be costly because the RM100 weighs a metric tonne
                          I think that one had free shipping plus the foot switch which the others didn't. Only drawback there is the expense of the cabinet. There were alot of things I hadn't considered. Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
                          X