Marshall DSL40C 40 watt 1x12 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL40C 40 watt 1x12 combo

Got a tracking number, will have it in a few more days.

Full review coming.

I played a floor model at GC yesterday and I think Marshall may have a home run here.

Clean channel was absolutely brilliant. With the different voicings on both channels it covered all the Marshall bases from Plexi to JTM to JMP to JCM with ease.

2 EL 34s with a series effects loop. Half power Pentode / Triode switch on back to go from 40 watts to 20 watts.

I have gigged with the DSL series (head and cabs) back in the touring days many times but I think this new combo is even better.

Maybe a lot better.

I will update after the honeymoon.

I played the head version and was blown away myself. I liked the fact you can cut the watts down in half. I think the one I played was the DSL15?

Comment

Yes the 15 watter uses 6v6 tubes and the 40 uses EL-34s. I played the 15 watt combo and it to was amazing.

The main reason why I went with the 40 was because it has an effects loop. The 15 would have been enough power for the places I play today but it did not have the loop.

Comment

After a few days with mine I can safely say I am very satisfied with it so far. I will still do a complete review after I have had it longer but it is everything and more than I was expecting.

Being able to switch it down to 20 watts is like having two different amplifiers. It responds quite differently on the pentode setting rather than the triode. The amp is a bit less aggressive in a good way on the 20 watt selection. Seems to have that old school Marshall vibe and still plenty of power. Even on the 20 watt setting you can feel it in your chest with the volume on 2 or 3. It sounds like a much bigger amp than it is.

On the 40 watt setting it just roars.

It comes with a Celestion 70/80 stock speaker that sounds decent but is a lower end Celestion. I have used them before and they do warm up quite a bit with a longer break in. May change that one out eventually.

With all the Easter weekend deals I was able to get a great deal on an EVH 2x12 cab with Celestion G12H Heritage 70th Anniversary speakers. Gonna be great for the bigger gigs when I need to push a bit more air.

Comment

I scored a 2004 Model yesterday. DSL 401, (No C, and 40 watts only) Sounds great so far for the money. From what I have read it will power a 4-12 w/ no problem. The stock speaker does seem lacking though. Great practice amp for sure. I need 2 foot switches now. One for reverb and one for channel switching. Decisions, Decisions.

Comment

Are these made in England or Asia or? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X