I need a new Amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new Amp...

Just sold my Boss ME-20 and I have my Bullet Reverb amp on CL. I want an amp that comes with fx so I don't have to rely on pedals too much. With good gain, overdrive. Something in the 15 or 20W range. I don't gig - it's just for home use. Any ideas? How about those Spyders? I jam along to hair metal.
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Any of the 30w modeling combos seem to be what you're looking for. The Peavey Vypyr seems to be the best sounding or the Roland amp cube is good too. I have a 50w Vox and don't really like it. Going on craigslist soon to be honest.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

A modeller is a great way to go if you live in an apartment. If you live in a house (or somewhere you don't have to worry about being loud), I'd say step up to something nicer.

I don't gig either but nothing compares to the tone of a 1/2 stack for metal. I have several, but one you may like to get is a 4x10 with a small head (I have a Marshall Artist 3203 head). This is my "old school Metallica" rig because it can do both clean and crunch well. I don't use any foot switches except for the channel switch.

Another suggestion is the Laney AOR series. I have the AOR 50 (Combo and Head) - The combo has a sealed cab which sounds great.

And if you say you can't afford these - shop around. There are plenty of pawn shops in LA.

Comment

I just finished servicing an '83 AOR 50 Pro Tube Lead.
        Well built, and sounds great for metal.
        They can be found cheap and after going through this amp I recommend them somewhat highly.

My only reservation is they are kind of a one trick pony.
        But what they do, they do very well and are easily serviceable.

Comment

Thanks. 1/2 stack is too much for me. I'll check out that Peavey.
          8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

You are going to have to go test some out. There are too many out there to say what is best and everyones ears are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Amerturk View Post
              You are going to have to go test some out. There are too many out there to say what is best and everyones ears are different.
              Very true, try them out and see what your ears hear. Hit craigslist I've found several nice amps for cheap. Of course buying new at the local guitar center you can bring it home and if you don't like it in a few weeks you can exchange it.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
              X