Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BK Butler real tube

Found this yesterday at GC.
    1992 BK Butler designed real tube OD pedal made by Tube Works.I was hoping it was one from the 80's but its still a killer pedal.
    12AX7 will be swapped for a 12AU7 soon.
    Very nice warm OD pedal for sure.
    Last edited by straycat; 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

awesome!

Comment

Yuuuup!

Comment

Have about an hour messing with it on my Boogie and yep its a great pedal.
        Have to give it a try it on the Cyg 30 next.

Comment

I tried one of the Chandler Tube Driver pedals back in the day when I heard Satriani was using them. I rented it for a month because it was so expensive I wanted to be sure I would use it before plunking down the cash. I didn't end up keeping it, but it was because I was using it wrong. I didn't know anything about overdrive versus distortion back then so I was setting it up wrong and expecting different tones. I kind of wish I'd grabbed it and kept it because I think the Chandler ones were selling for silly prices in the last few years.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

From what I gather from BK Butler, Chandler just used the name and some kind of legal action happened.I think BK got screwed over by Chandler.
            He said there was no such thing as a chandler overdrive that he built or had anything to do with.

After some time on the Boogie head (very very nice sounding) I tried it on my Cyg 30 watt combo.
            The real tube pedal was very noisy and really didn't work well with the Cyg amp.The amps saturation stands on its own.
            In fact the Cyg sounds best with no OD pedal in the signal chain.
            Any other pedal thru the front is fine and sounds great.
            Not sure why that is and maybe Cyg can explain it.
            The Cyg Orpheus 30 design is very different in sound structure and its hard to explain what it sounds like.I love the tone of the amp and it gets some gnarly grind but yet has a clean voice that is boarder line gritty again which is what I was hoping for.
            Gain 1 & 2 at around 1 to 2 and the volume around noon its really clean and not too loud at all.Crank up gain 2 and the volume comes up and gets to the point the speaker is wanting to break up again which I like.
            You don't have to crank the amp to get it to saturate.Bring up gain stage 2 and bring up the volume you can get fooking loud but still have awesome OD tone and not be pushing the amp real hard.
            Very sensitive to pick attack too which is nice. Roll back the guitar to 7 or 8 and it cleans up very well and still has great volume.
            Last edited by straycat; 06-12-2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              12AX7 will be swapped for a 12AU7 soon.
              Why, pray tell? 12AU7 is higher current draw and lower gain than the 12AX7, no? What are you going for with that swap?
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

12 AU7 from what I have found in the past with these pedals takes some of the high end bite out and mellows the drive.
                A 12 AU7 is about 40% less gain of the 12 AX7. I can drive the amp harder if I want more.
                Just want to try it and see how it reacts.
                Keep in mind this is an overdrive pedal and not a distortion pedal 2 very different things.
                Last edited by straycat; 06-13-2013, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Part of what you're seeing in the Cygnus gain structure occurs in the long tail pi/cathode biaes power section.
                  The other part is what you found.
                  It amplifies quite a fair amount right at the very first insertion point.
                  I don't even have a grid stopper there!

Comment

Working...
                  X