Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JCM800 head + which pedal(s) for 80's Thrash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One channel amps are fun! You just need a 2 volume guitar and a few pedals. Boost on for distortion, and chorus on for clean on that front pickup with the volume knob way down. Add a little delay for solos and you've got 90% of pretty much anything you want to play in the rock world.

I tried so many things, but in the end, all I was ever trying to do tone wise was emulate a boosted Marshall.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
      That's the key, whatever works for your needs! I have one large rig with the CAE3+se preamp still, and an Intellifex with a TC Parametric, misc stuff and the 90 pound VHT2150. And that is obviously small compared to a lot of refrigerator rigs like you described. But, I also run a Voodu Valve all in one preamp/effects, and a small SS power amp (the size of two VHS tapes) that is fairly kick ass and I'm certainly not unhappy with that or with carrying it!

Saw a Metallica Tribute here Saturday and the guy ran an old 800 ( I missed which one) but he was doing quite good with cleans and heavy stuff, all with a pedal board. I'm impressed with his tone actually. Tasty IMO. Wish I could be happy with just an amp head. Although there really are nice ones these day that I probably would be happy with if I wanted to pend the bucks.
      If I'm doing "simple" stuff, I can get by with a simple rig. When my old band basically degenerated into a Classic Rock cover band, I took only my RocPro1000 head + Carvin cab, volume and wah. For an early-80s Thrash band, I'm thinking the 800 with a booster and an EQ for solos will be fine.

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
      One channel amps are fun! You just need a 2 volume guitar and a few pedals. Boost on for distortion, and chorus on for clean on that front pickup with the volume knob way down. Add a little delay for solos and you've got 90% of pretty much anything you want to play in the rock world.

I tried so many things, but in the end, all I was ever trying to do tone wise was emulate a boosted Marshall.
      Since I've owned this head, listening back to Kill 'Em All, Lightning, and Peace Sells, I can hear "that Marshall sound". Even with old Priest and Maiden.

To me, it's like Gibson and Fender, or Jackson - so much music has been made with those guitars that the first step in getting those tones is to get those guitars. Doesn't have to be a 58 Goldtop or '60s V with true PAFs or '57 or '70s Strat with Abigails, it's just gotta be the model (wood and shape and reasonably-similar pickups). When I got my first SG back in '88, I immediately got tonally closer to Sabbath and British Steel, even through my SD-1 and 25w Gorilla amp. I imagine I'd nail it on the head today, even without a Marshall 4x12.

You want that 80s Hair Metal tone, you need a Jackson (or a Les Paul, or a Strat )

By the same token, "Marshall = 90% of Hard Rock tones" simply because they were so widely used. Outboard gear (pedals, etc) will define the finer points of the tone (saturation and color) but the core tone is coming from the amp and guitar. There are some Rhoads tracks that simply do not sound "right" unless you've got a Jackson with Duncans, while others sound best with a Les Paul with DiMarzios.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

• Originally posted by data187 View Post
        agreed with above...pro co rat pedal is pretty awesome
        I have one from the late 80's and it does sown pretty awesome.. but I heard the ones now adays are made in china and uses cheaper electronic components such as the main chip(cant remeber its designation)..and just dont have the same vibe as the older ones from what ive read

on a related note.. been meaning to mod my ratt but just cant bring myself to do it..as Its the only musical item I own that id prefer to keep it original.. might by a new one and change the chip..and mod it
        GEAR:
        #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
        #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
        #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
        #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
        #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
        AMPS:
        1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
        ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

• Originally posted by Newc View Post
          If I'm doing "simple" stuff, I can get by with a simple rig. When my old band basically degenerated into a Classic Rock cover band, I took only my RocPro1000 head + Carvin cab, volume and wah. For an early-80s Thrash band, I'm thinking the 800 with a booster and an EQ for solos will be fine.

Since I've owned this head, listening back to Kill 'Em All, Lightning, and Peace Sells, I can hear "that Marshall sound". Even with old Priest and Maiden.

To me, it's like Gibson and Fender, or Jackson - so much music has been made with those guitars that the first step in getting those tones is to get those guitars. Doesn't have to be a 58 Goldtop or '60s V with true PAFs or '57 or '70s Strat with Abigails, it's just gotta be the model (wood and shape and reasonably-similar pickups). When I got my first SG back in '88, I immediately got tonally closer to Sabbath and British Steel, even through my SD-1 and 25w Gorilla amp. I imagine I'd nail it on the head today, even without a Marshall 4x12.

You want that 80s Hair Metal tone, you need a Jackson (or a Les Paul, or a Strat )

By the same token, "Marshall = 90% of Hard Rock tones" simply because they were so widely used. Outboard gear (pedals, etc) will define the finer points of the tone (saturation and color) but the core tone is coming from the amp and guitar. There are some Rhoads tracks that simply do not sound "right" unless you've got a Jackson with Duncans, while others sound best with a Les Paul with DiMarzios.
          Just a slight correction, Rhoads' Les Paul Custom had stock Gibson T Tops in it not Dimarzios. The Dimarzios were in his Sandoval Polka Dot V and the Duncans in his Jacksons. But I do understand your point. There are some classic "recipes" for certain tones. I've messed around with different setups ranging from racks to one channel Marshalls with not so much as an effects loop. I still love them all! they each have their advantages and disadvantages. Gigging them live will quickly bring out the best and worst in each setup.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

• Have not had a day off with the house to myself for more than an hour (that I was awake) since August. That means I have a 100w dust magnet. Dad's currently courting a nice lady his age who seems to genuinely care about his well-being, so as soon as those two formulate a solid plan (i.e. I know he's being taken care of and not deep-frying or fast-fooding himself into another coronary), I'll finally be able to get my own place, and blow the fucking roof off of it.

Either that or I'll take this fucking head out back and set it on fire in disgust.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X