Organize My Cheap Rack System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organize My Cheap Rack System

Slight exaggeration of the word "system" but I could use some help getting this in the best order.
    It's just for preamp direct input use for now.
    Made up of cheap things I've picked up recently, some gifted.

Digitech DSP 128 Plus (multi effects with chorus, flanger, reverb, echo, EQ but no noise gate).
    BBE 862 Sonic Maximizer
    Soundtech ST200CL Compresser
    AB MONO 131 band EQ

Placing a Bad Monkey in front using the Cab Sim mode sounds good for the distortion/gain.
    All are stereo except that EQ...so the EQ is going to have to be first in the chain or after the Bad Monkey.
    The Digitech DSP128 is noisy (hiss).
    Output will be going directly into a USB interface for the PC.

Thoughts appreciated.
    Any advice on how to get the Digitech noise free even if I have to open it up
    and mod it also appreciated.

While y'all chew on that, here is what I'm thinking.
    Bad Monkey first.
    EQ
    DSP 128 Plus
    Compressor
    Then BBE 862 last

Here is why:
    EQ can fix any noise going into the DSP 128 so we have a "clean" start
    Again, hopefully EQ within the Digitech can quiet down that hiss
    Same with the compressor, for controlling that noise and of course the compression it needs.
    I don't even know what the BBE will do, never have tried it but I'm almost sure it needs to be last in the chain.

Seems like chaining up a compressor to the BBE defeats the purpose though.
    That's the one item that will probably need the most work.
    I guess.

Comment

put the EQ after the DSP128. I had one of those things ages ago and found it to be a noise factory....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I would Mark, but that is the one thing that converts it all back to mono.
        It needs to be first, or do the rig in mono.

Comment

Considering the amps you build, I'd start with the gsp at the very bottom of the can, followed by whatever piece of gear you wish until all pieces reside in the refuse bin. Don't ruin those masterpieces you make with that stuff. Get a nice reverb tank and you should get all the full body and or nice delay effects you want without a long, tone sucking signal chain. Just my .02.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Too late!

Listen to RackClean1 by Cygnus 1963 #np on #SoundCloud

Comment

The real story is this...people keep asking about effects loops, and how do effects sound up front of my amps.
              I needed to get something going to be able to build and test properly going forward so when
              I saw something that would fit, then I bought it.
              People unloading these cheap so why not.

I think the setup is sufficient as I set it up like above.

Comment

that makes sense, if you need to go stereo.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X