Ampeg VL-502

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg VL-502

I am pretty sure I am buying one of these. I really like the tone of these. Sound a whole lot like a JCM 800. OK guys, are these amps any good? How about the quality or lack of track record? Doesn`t come with the footswitch. Are they hard to find or is their an off-brand replacement for these? I wish it was the 100 watt model, but I am getting it at a good price I am pretty sure. Thanks.

How much? It's a Lee Jackson amp, basically a heavily modded Marshall circuit, as are all things Lee Jackson. Awesome tone. Footswitch is basic, shouldn't have any trouble finding one. Quality is great once you remove the molex connector and hardwire, if it hasn't already been done. Though if it's lasted this long, I'd assume it's been done.

Does it come with the key?
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I did hear about that mod for the wiring. I will ask about that. It is in mint/hardly used condition. It comes with 2 keys. Thanks.

Comment

Is it at Guitar Center for $400?
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

No, not that one. If I pass on it, do want the lead on it?

Comment

From what I understand, it was also the predecessor to the Crate Blue Voodoo series (as far as they were both Lee Jackson designs). I don't know what happened, but the BVs certainly don't sound anywhere near as good.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'm pretty sure Lee Jackson had nothing to do with the Blue Voodoos. He did however design the Crate Stealth, which was a disaster since Crate cheaped out on parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                I'm pretty sure Lee Jackson had nothing to do with the Blue Voodoos. He did however design the Crate Stealth, which was a disaster since Crate cheaped out on parts.
                LOL, you are absolutely right. I always get that mixed up. I wonder who designed the BVs.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  I wonder who designed the BVs.
                  Pretty sure it was this guy

super-retard.jpg

Comment

I had a friend with the 100W head. It sounded very good, and seemed well built. He got it for a song because the original owner dropped it, breaking the tubes, and denting the chassis under the transformers, that's it. Seemed to take a fall well anyway. Loud and punchy.

Comment

Ok, just got this amp. Pulled it out of the box, was all excited. Then I plugged it in and hooked it up to my 2x12 combo amps speakers and nothing. Changed out the pre-amp tubes and still nothing, changed the power tubes, no change. No noise-nothing. It lights up, but no sound. Can you run a ahead thru the speakers of a 2x12 combo? I disconnected the speakers from the combo and plugged the head in and made sure the ohms were set right. I checked both fuses and they look good, but maybe I should replace them. The Mains is a 4A and the other a 1A. This Ampeg has 3 trannies in it. Looking from the back the far left trannie has a silver wire hanging out of it between the body and the cover. Is that normal? I have never seen that before. Anyway, I have contacted the seller as well. Maybe it`s just me hooking it up to my 2x12 combo, but the combo is working by itself, so I know the speakers work. Whatcha think? Thanks.
                      Last edited by slayer; 08-14-2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Yes, you can use the combo speakers, just disconnect them from the combo portion like you did.

The thing that I immediately think of is whether the switch that those keys are for is turned the right way? I vaguely remember the ad of those amps with IIRC those rounded keys that go in the front of the amp. I thought that'd be a good method to keep others from trying out your gear when you're not around. But what happens if whatever that key turns shorts out? Just a thought.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yes, the keys work very well. The amp just has no sound and no tubes or fuse changes are working. The guy was going to pay to have it fixed but now he wants it back. I don`t really want to give it back because it is in immaculate condition and got it for a really great price. I am trying to talk him into having it fixed locally for me. I would hate for it to be something very simple and send it back. Thanks.

Comment

Ok, I don`t know why it didn`t work thru my 2x12 combo cab, but my speaker cable may be shot. I forgot to take it to the music store,,,,,,,,,,, but holy shit batman is this amp a monster!! We plugged it in thru a Marshall 1960A 4x12 with G12T-75`s and it is a metal machine!! This is with the original tubes. I only turned it up to 2 there and wow!! I love this amp. I am working on buying a Marshall cab like I played thru or 2 and a couple new speaker cables of course. Lee Jackson designed a fire breather with this one!!
                            Last edited by slayer; 08-17-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Dude! You didn't check the speaker cable? Seriously?

I'm glad your amp is okay bro!

Comment

Working...
                              X