Any 5153 50 watt combo owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 5153 50 watt combo owners?

Anyone here get their hands on one yet? I was hell bent on an EVH 5150 III when I heard about the combo about 6 months back... decided to wait for the combo instead of a 50 watt head...then bought an Axe FX II...love the Axe, but still think about maybe grabbing one of these. Any opinions? Reviews?
    Thanks!
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

All i know is that they are selling them for over $2k in Australia which is confusing as fuck when the head is $1500!
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

Comment

I went with the 50 watt head and 2 1x12 cabs. Only a little more $ but a lot more versatile. I did it because of the weight of the combo vs the weight of the head and cabs. 35 pounds each vs a ton. Great tones and all volumes I recommend it ,the combo probably similar but I don't like combos. Also when they are stacked its a cool looking rig.

Comment

I meant to say AT all volumes . The combo is 84 pounds not something I would want to lug around. The head and cab look really good too with just 1 1x12 or both , the combo not too good looking compared . IMHO.

Comment

They seem to offer a lot of good features but I can't find too many reviews on line. Given that they have been out several months now, I expected to find more reviews out there. A few used ones have started showing up on ebay.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys...yeah, I expected lots of reviews myself by now. One of the main reasons I was gonna wait for the combo was to have wattage control. I wish I had a store near me that stocked decent amps to audition in person before buying... but its all low end stuff. I've actually got a couple 1/2 stacks still... 2 Blue Voodoo heads, 1 Blue Voodoo cab and an old 80's Peavey Butcher cab...I've been running my Axe FRFR mostly with Equator D5's and I'm waiting on a pair of Atomic CLR wedges but running the Axe stereo through each of the heads is pretty bad ass too. A lot of my favorite artists are getting killer crunch with the 5150's which is why I'm still interested... Gojira, Eric from Testament and when I saw Decapitated open for LOG in June Vogg had one... as well as a Diezel and another head I couldn't identify. Vogg kicks serious ass!
            There's really not one member here who bought the combo?
            Hear the universe scream
            Whom horns careless
            And whom God mourns

Comment

I think there is an Andertons review on one of these on their or Chappers channel.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I also have the 50 watt head with a 1x12 cab and just like PIKA described, it sounds awesome at all volumes. Gain to spare but you can dial it back and get a great 80's Metal tone and the clean is not bad either. Slightly gritty but with character. I like the versatility of being able to use the head with other cabs and the weight is very manageable. Fender killed it with this amp...
                "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                ENGL Powerball II
                Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Yeah...a fifty watt head would also be 1/2 the price... decisions.
                  Hear the universe scream
                  Whom horns careless
                  And whom God mourns

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
                    I went with the 50 watt head and 2 1x12 cabs. Only a little more $ but a lot more versatile. I did it because of the weight of the combo vs the weight of the head and cabs. 35 pounds each vs a ton. Great tones and all volumes I recommend it ,the combo probably similar but I don't like combos. Also when they are stacked its a cool looking rig.
                    Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
                    I also have the 50 watt head with a 1x12 cab and just like PIKA described, it sounds awesome at all volumes. Gain to spare but you can dial it back and get a great 80's Metal tone and the clean is not bad either. Slightly gritty but with character. I like the versatility of being able to use the head with other cabs and the weight is very manageable. Fender killed it with this amp...
                    Not to hijack this thread, but how do you guys like the 112 cabs? Already having the 412 with the 100 watt, I went back and forth when I pulled the trigger on the 50 watt, but ultimately went with the 212 to keep my bottom end. Not very easy to transport though. What's your thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X