Anyone got a Zoom G2nu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got a Zoom G2nu

Hi guys, I got a Zoom G2nu from my wife for my birthday, just to mess around with / practice with headphones.

Sounds ok with headphones, but if I plug it up front on my amp, it totally sucks loads of bass / distortion tones sound very thin and tinny. Is it something i'm doing wrong with the unit's settings or is that just the way it is? Not that its a big deal as I love the distortion tone of my amp as it is (with the eq in the loop).

Maybe I'm asking too much of the little zoom unit, expecting it to sound as good as the amp, mind you, i would have thought that it'd sound better than it currently is...

I had one of the big Zoom G9 units a few years ago (the one with two foot pedals), and it also sounded kinda tinny and thin. I think you need to keep your amp controls set flat and tweak the unit a bit, but it might be better if you use it in the amp's loop and disable the Zoom's distortion settings.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Think I figured out where I went wrong. I was using 1.2v nimh rechargeable batteries. Tried it with the ac adaprter through the headphones and it sounded so much better / different from using the batteries. Will try it in the amp later

Comment

Yep, got home and tried it up front of my amp with the AC power supply. It was surprisingly awesome - faith restored. Really good for the money, I'd actually be prepared to pay double. Using it in the loop just for a delay is worth the money on its own, really nice sounding delays / chorus. I remember buying a zoom in the 90's and it was terrible, they've come a long way

Comment

Cool. Glad you got it sorted out. I sold my unit on ebay since I just didn't care for it, and it was only AC power anyway. I've been looking for a smaller unit for some chorus and delay sounds, so I may have to check out something like you've got.

Comment

I have the new zoom G2nu, a friend of mine has the older G2R (richie Kotzen) and the G2L (george lynch) sig pedals. I wanted one of them because they can be had for about half the price as the new ones and are still really good. I think richie kotzen still uses one for delay / modulation

It's nice and small to and makes a great practicing tool. here are some pics of it when me and my 5 year old were having a muck around

Last edited by tinribs; 09-20-2013, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Nice. BTW, what kind of Tele is that? Looks sweet.

Comment

Good call on the batteries. Play around with the EQs and amp/cab/mic simulation settings if you want to tinker, the little thing is very configurable.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Nice. BTW, what kind of Tele is that? Looks sweet.
                  thanks toejam, I really like it. It's one I put together, Musikraft neck, ash body. It starts near the bottom of this thread I started a while back http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/136...ter?highlight=

Comment

Ah, okay. I do remember that one now. I read that thread quickly before heading out to work and I never replied to it.

Comment

Glad you got it figured out.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Pointy View Post
                        Good call on the batteries. Play around with the EQs and amp/cab/mic simulation settings if you want to tinker, the little thing is very configurable.
                        thanks Pointy, I finally figured out how to mess with the eq's and noise reduction etc. Can get it to sound much better than the presets

Comment

Working...
                        X