Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My review of the Eminence 121293 12 inch, 60 Watt speakers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My review of the Eminence 121293 12 inch, 60 Watt speakers....

Ok, after recently getting a BV412s cab(200watt) and looking into the cab to find out the speaker type. Turns out that they were Eminence 121293 12 inch, 60 Watt, 16 ohm Vintage Style Guitar Speakers. Somewhat of a V30 clone, somewhat...

I'm really pleased with them, they're not for all styles of playing though. They seemed most responsive to down tuned low end, but I'll get back to that in a minute. When I first plugged up to it(using a BV120) and a KE2 in standard A440(I could only find a set of 9's in the house, and had just restrung it(I had them simply because I don't use them)).

The overall sound was farty(terribly muddy and almost sounding like a ripped speaker cone). I tried adjusting the head in every conceivable way, still sounded like ass. Then I grabbed my SG(which had 11's on it). The sound was much better immediately, nice and responsive with crisp clarity - I was still not happy with the mids/low end though. Tried dialing the amp head differently, not much change. I dropped to D standard tunning, WOW - night and day difference, great tones. Throaty low end, great mids and the treble was perfect!!! So naturally after about 30 minutes of playing like this, I dropped to C standard. The amp still sounded great, but the strings were too floppy.

So overall, the speakers are for down tuned mayhem. Capable of creamy saturation all the way up to insane gain. The useable frequency range is 70Hz - 5.5kHz(I would have expected more tonal range). I've just ordered a full set of new tubes for the head, so after retubing/biasing - I'll update this with any changes in experience...
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Nice job !!
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
    X