Marshall class 5 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall class 5 head

After having mine for a little while now and putting quite a few hours of time on it I have to say its a great amp. I was a bit skeptical at first because I had one of the early combo versions and it had some small issues. The head is fantastic and a great all around amp and takes pedal like a champ. No issues what so ever and it is breaking in very well. Awesome Marshall cleans and at around 4 it starts to gets a gritty driven Marshall plexi tone. Hooked my Weber MASS to it and cranked it to 10 and holy shit there is some sweet 70's tone on tap. The sweet spot on this amp is 7775 across the board.And yes with the vol on 5 its really loud. But drop the vol to 3 its much quieter but kick in an OD pedal and you are good to go. One gripe was the volume knob sat on 5 when turned all the way down.The center of the knob was installed wrong.(push on style knobs) I had an old one off a Plexi so I stuck it one and locked it on with the set screw.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by straycat; 09-29-2013, 10:53 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

I know some will say an attenuator on a 5 watt amp whats the point?
    Yeah its a loud amp and the 50 watt Weber works really well on this amp no coloring of the amps tone at all.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      I know some will say an attenuator on a 5 watt amp whats the point?
      The point being they probably never heard a 5 Watt tube amp at full blast, if they did, they wouldn't argue the point
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Nice! Even a 1-watt tube amp is loud without an attenuator.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I took home a dark terror for the weekend. Loved it. I understand the "lunchbox" amp thing now after owning the black star and demoing the dark terror. Btw, the dark terror will be my next amp.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

The Marshall 1 watter I would call a lunchbox amp but this one is 19 in long so not what I would call tiny.
            I like the dark terror a lot cool amp in all regards.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Nice! Even a 1-watt tube amp is loud without an attenuator.
              True! A while back I took a picture of my db meter several feet away from my Zvex Nano amp. This thing fits in the palm of your hand so its not lunch box size either. More like snack size Anyway, it was hooked up to a 1x12 cab. It measured 97 db to over 100 db depending on how far away you take the reading. So yeah, they can be loud! The Zvex Nano is 0.5w
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

I always wanted one of those little Nano amps!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  I always wanted one of those little Nano amps!
                  I picked one up used a few years ago. I also ended up getting two identical ported 1x12 cabs and loaded one with a Celestion V30 and the other with a 25w Greenback. That way I could really compare speakers Cool little amp, no on/off switch. Just plug in the power cord and its on.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Cool. I liked ported cabs, too. I've got a Mesa ported 1x12 Thiele cab that I use in my living room with a THD Univalve head.

Comment

Big fan of ported cabs with low watt amps.

Comment

Working...
                      X