What would be a "hot rodded" Mesa??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be a "hot rodded" Mesa??

As I understand it, a lot of "boutique" amps are basically tweaks and improvements on original designs. With all the "hot rodded" versions of Marshalls out there (Bogner, Splawn, etc), what are some "hot rodded" or "boutique" versions of Mesa Rectos or Marks??
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Bogner Uberschall

Comment

Anything with a tube rectifier and a $6K pricetag
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Mesa started out that way too.... hence their "the original boutique amp company" moniker. I don't know of any "boutique" versions of Mesa's products, though. Plenty of copies, though.
        Last edited by javert; 10-07-2013, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Mesa Rectifier is already hot rodded. I would say Bogner would be the closest.

Comment

Mesa Boogie started life by hot rodding Fender combo amps.

Comment

I'm voting über as well. Diezel has too much of its own thing going, Peavey too. Orange isn't quite as versatile, but kinda in the ballpark. Mesa, unlike Marshall, improves upon itself -- they don't wait for someone else to do it for them.

Comment

That kinda seems what I'm hearing. Mesa does most of it's own thing. I've gleaned from MTS module clones that the Uberschall and the Framus Cobra are Recto flavors. But that's all I've heard really. I've heard people compare the Peavey Ultra+ and the B52 AT-100 to Rectos but I didn't hear that in my Ultra+ or clips of the AT-100. I'll stick with the Marshall and Mesa Jaded Faith clone mods I have (59RR, XTC, Erect, MarkX) but wondered why I never heard much about Mesa style copies out there. Guess there isn't much to improve on.

Comment

Actually kinda funny, a friend who has a Egnater Rebel with a 1x12 that is real vintage sounding, set it clean and tried the Uberschall pedal for a modern flavor. It didn't sound much more modern. Wonder if something was wrong with it..

Comment

My Uberschall is an EL34 amp while my Dual Recto and Mesa Mark V are 6L6. How are you guys figuring these sound alike? Mine don't. Also, I don't believe a Bogner pedal in front of another amp is going to sound just like a real Bogner either.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Try looking at a Framus Cobra

MOSHON
                      DAVE
                      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't know nor care. I had a new Mark III years ago and have to say, it was an absolute tone dog at anything but bedroom levels. I finally got a Marshall and it was all over for the Boogie. In fact I traded that half stack for another 50W Marshall.

Comment

Bugera? ! ? lol
                          "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                          Zakk Wylde

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                            Personally, I wouldn't know nor care. I had a new Mark III years ago and have to say, it was an absolute tone dog at anything but bedroom levels. I finally got a Marshall and it was all over for the Boogie. In fact I traded that half stack for another 50W Marshall.
                            I like Marshalls and Marshall flavored amps too. But of the Mesa amps I like the Mark V the best. I like it much better than my Dual Recto. It does cleans, low gain, and high gain great!
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

This is all info to reference what MTS module I should look at getting next. I have (and love) my Marshall based mods (XTC and 59RR) and Mesa based (MarkX and Erect) but was wondering if I was really going to get much more out of a different flavor of Mesa. There's mods based on the Cobra and Uberschall and everyone says they're amazing but are they just more refined versions of a Recto? I tend to set up my modules very similar and the ones I have are just different enough to keep both. The XTC is basically a refined smoother version of the raw sounding 59RR. The MarkX is a smooth Mesa, Erect is raw and nasty. And they are all pretty versatile. So basically, are the Cobra and Uberschall amps (the real ones) that different than a Mesa Recto?

Comment

Working...
                              X