NAD: Randall RG 80 112 CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Randall RG 80 112 CS

I got this little beast for a song! I cannot begin to explain how awesome it sounds(clean/mean). I love the clean sound I am getting and the dirty sounds even better. It may be a tad ugly but it sounds just like my black tolexed RG100es and is in a compact form with reverb. There is an Eminence speaker in it now....its unbranded. I am thinking of looking to WGS speakers here soon. Although, the Emi sounds pretty darn great!

Last edited by GrimRiffer; 10-14-2013, 12:47 PM. Reason: subject

They are nice amps for sure. I still have an old Randall solid state half stack and it's killer. Congrats and nice score bro!
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
      They are nice amps for sure. I still have an old Randall solid state half stack and it's killer. Congrats and nice score bro!
      Thanks! I have an older, black tolexed RG100ES and I love it. This one seems to have more gain and low end though!

Best part......I paid 30 bucks for it.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
        Thanks! I have an older, black tolexed RG100ES and I love it. This one seems to have more gain and low end though!

Best part......I paid 30 bucks for it.
        WOW!!.. that is a good deal.. I have a RG100es, that Ive owned since it was new.. awesome line of amps
        GEAR:
        #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
        #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
        #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
        #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
        #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
        AMPS:
        1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
        ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
          WOW!!.. that is a good deal.. I have a RG100es, that Ive owned since it was new.. awesome line of amps
          Love my RG100ES too!!! Is there any real difference in the tolexed version and the carpet version? I have both now and I cannot hear a huge difference.

Comment

I have the same combo mint in black tolex. I had someone come by to buy a guitar from me last night. He plugged into the RG80, everything went perfect and he paid me for the guitar. On his way out, he turned around and asked if I ever want to sell that amp to call him. I told him they are fairly plentiful and cheap. He thought it was an expensive tube combo. Good thing I'm honest!

Comment

I told him they are fairly plentiful and cheap
              I just scanned this from an old magazine for some perspective.. These amps where pretty pricy when they first came out..cost around the same price as a marshal.. might be cheap now but there was a time.......................................

At the time the RG was released.. its price was comparable to respectable tubeamps of similar size..IMO.. it was the most tube like SS sounding amp ever produced... I paid a whopping $949 w/ footswitch for mine.. the footswitch on the randalls where optional(+80) when you ordered one BUT the amp was somewhat limited w/o it.. I lost mine and the sound was different.. not just because the clean bled a bit into the dirty when to turned the clean all the way down..Its hard to explain.. . So i took it upon myself to build one because there was no way in hell I was going to shell out +$100 or so on ebay for a 25 year old pedal..built one for $45

here is mine
              GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
              AMPS:
              1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
                I just scanned this from an old magazine for some perspective.. These amps where pretty pricy when they first came out..cost around the same price as a marshal.. might be cheap now but there was a time.......................................

At the time the RG was released.. its price was comparable to respectable tubeamps of similar size..IMO.. it was the most tube like SS sounding amp ever produced... I paid a whopping $949 w/ footswitch for mine.. the footswitch on the randalls where optional(+80) when you ordered one BUT the amp was somewhat limited w/o it.. I lost mine and the sound was different.. not just because the clean bled a bit into the dirty when to turned the clean all the way down..Its hard to explain.. . So i took it upon myself to build one because there was no way in hell I was going to shell out +$100 or so on ebay for a 25 year old pedal..built one for $45

here is mine
                Dude.....could you build me a footswitch!!!!???? I have an old Randall 2 button switch that has a 1/4 inch jack and I have a 6 pin end. Any way for me to rewire the switch to have the 6 pin end?

Comment

you would need ~ 20ft of 6 conductor wire, cinch jones connector,a pedal housing. I actually bought a generic pedal and gutted it..hell it had 2 switches ready to go and the pedal itself is really sturdy.. think i bought that for like 20 or so.. that old randall footswitch of your could work.. as long as the switches are still in good shape

the connector.. not sure if yours looks liker this but im pretty sure i used this one

wiring diagram..that i dl'ed off the net years ago.. its just an excerpt from the main wiring diagram of an rg80 amp..

the inside

I was a bit inexperienced at the time and it shows a bit.. but Its still a respectable job IMO

If you are decent with a soldering iron..its relatively straight forward.. hell its just soldering wire to lugs.. hellavalot easier than soldering ground wire to the base of a pot.. IMO. HARDEST part was wiring the connector.. Tried to get it as tight as possible and boy.. that was a bitch.. overall i made 2 mistakes.. LEDs should of been done a bit different IMO.. and i had to improvise a relief for the wire.. as I said.. my first real project
                  GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                  AMPS:

Comment

Great sounding little amps I dig em'.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So how would I got about just replacing the 1/4 inch jack with the 6 pin I have???

Comment

Good luck with the switch bro!
                        Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM.
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                          Good luck with the switch bro!
                          Cannot decide if I want to try my luck with the build or just buy one.........DAMN!

Comment

not sure what you mean.. in order to use the 6 blade connector.. you need 6 conductor wire....

You can buy a used randal FS-5 pedal off Ebay.. if you can find and it will cost you 100+ for something thats 25+ years old, get someone to make you one which will still cost you 80 or so IMO or you can get a soldering iron and try it youself.. perhaps it might take 2 to 3 hours of your time and a bit of frustration(maby).. its a good learning experience.... hell..All you really need is 20 or so feet of 6 conductor cable.. think I bought mine for like ~1.00 a ft.

if you feel uncomfortable doing the pedal.. just get one made or buy one off ebay.. not really that hard to build though
                            GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                            AMPS:

Comment

id like to add that id love to build one for you GrimRiffer but im living paycheck to paycheck with no extra funds to buy the parts so i could get started...before some one says something abought sending an advance.. i would be against such an idea...
                              if i do a job for some one.. no advances and payment after completion of the job.. mainly I do computer jobs for people or other things.. usually simple shit

what state or country are you from? Im from Waco,Texas

on a slightly related note.. I think I might redo my pedal a bit.. put a proper wire relief on it which will suck as ill basically have to rewire the pedal.. Just need to properly label the wires and what switch /lug they came off and do the LED's better.. The way I should of done them the first time.. with heat shrink

IF you do build it.. the easiest way to make sure you dont fuck up is to get a cheap muti-meter and test for continuity and label each wire 1-6 on both ends..6 leads makes it easy to get confused AND if the cable is like mine.. all the wires where the same color
                              GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                              AMPS:

Comment

Working...
                              X