Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fryette Kickstarter Project - Preamp and Direct Interface

Check this out:

I've already pledged as an early adopter. Fryette may not be a household name, but they've been around a long time and make awesome high end power amps and heads. However, not everyone had the need for a 100W monster and they aren't cheap (the Ultra Lead is about $3,500).

This gets you the Fryette sound for a fraction of the price. Plus, it has a built-in power section and their take on a cab emulator so whether you are looking for a bedroom amp or want to record direct, you are set!

Nice man!!!! Post some audio when and if you grab one! They're killer sounding and super high quality!
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

sounds really cool. Wish I had chops like that Joe Gamble fella
      Hail yesterday

Comment

What's this pledging?
        Paying their R&D?
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Page Hamilton sure made an ass of himself....

Comment

Kickstarter? I guess he didn't make enough money when he sold the VHT name.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              What's this pledging?
              Paying their R&D?
              Bascially, you commit to help fund the project if it meets the funding goal. If it doesn't meet the goal, you pay nothing. You also get to collect an award for your pledge. For example, the first 50 people who pledged $399 will get one of the first 50 units. That award has been exhausted, so a pledge of $499 will get you one of the first set of units. There are also some special awards. For $1,500, you'll get one of the prototypes. You can also choose to just give money to Steve because you like him and want nothing in return (hardly anyone does that!)

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Kickstarter? I guess he didn't make enough money when he sold the VHT name.
              Yeah, I thought this was weird at first, but I think I get it now. What if he went through all the trouble to design the unit, spend a bunch on marketing, filling the channel with inventory, and nobody bought it? That would suck This way, it's sort of put your money where your mouth is. If enough people show interest, then it will happen. If people thought this was a silly idea, no one would pledge any money and Steve wouldn't have wasted his time.

Plus, this is kind of a new way of getting the word out on new products and there are other established companies trying the same idea.

Comment

So it went from "if you want one of our amps, you can buy one"
                to: "If you want us to even build an amp, you're gonna have to pay us up front"

and tomorrow they fold, and the guys who sent in more than a month's rent never imagined that that was gonna happen

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I don't see it as a bad thing. You can still buy the existing product line in the traditional fashion. Honestly, I'm just happy to see Fryette coming up with some new product ideas. There hasn't really been anything new in a while (other than that last set of pedals, which I don't think sold very well).

Most often you'll see Kickstarter used by two guys in their basement coming up with an idea they've never even attempted before. Now that's risky.

In this case, I don't think Fryette is doing this in a way to grab money and then go out of business. No doubt this product will find its way into the traditional sales channel if successful. But, it's kind of fun to be involved during the design process and since nothing is set in stone yet, it seems like they are taking comments into consideration as they finalize the design.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                    This way, it's sort of put your money where your mouth is. If enough people show interest, then it will happen. If people thought this was a silly idea, no one would pledge any money and Steve wouldn't have wasted his time.

Plus, this is kind of a new way of getting the word out on new products and there are other established companies trying the same idea.
                    This. How many times have we seen people on the JCF unequivocally state "if you built a guitar with __________ and __________ and ___________ you would sell a ton. I can't believe Jackson doesn't already have this. It's a surefire seller. I know I'd definitely buy three of them". And then when someone gets a small batch run happening with specifically those features, those same marketing experts are never heard from. Or they would get in on the run, but it has to have/can't have a Floyd/reverse headstock/boatflake finish/sharkfins/some other opt out option. As soon as they sell this other guitar. Oh, and the rent is due.

The punters have to put their money with their mouth is, but it's not just a donation for a warm fuzzy feeling. They get the product that they pay for. The business has the start up capital that they need. And if the idea doesn't fly, you haven't blown your cash - your pledge isn't deducted.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Well then they can deduct a few grand from their product since they don't need to foot the R&D bill, nor do they need to blow cash on market research

So if everyone puts in $100, we can have a Jackson Special run for $800 a piece

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

None of the expenses of bringing a new product to market have gone away. Crowd funding is just another way of raising capital for a project. The only difference is that rather than pitching this to their bank for funding, they're pitching it to their customers.

It doesn't do away with the need for R&D & market research - they're not asking for suggestions on the build. They've still done all the development. Read the page. They have a fully realised product ready to go. Now they need start up capital to bring it to market. All the usual costs & expenses are still there. And once the initial run is sold to Kickstarter contributors, if they intend to continue to produce the product, they will still have production, marketing & distribution costs.

They're planning to sell this new DI amp for $599. Pledge $499 to help them out and you can have one when they are built. If you'd got in early enough you could have had one for $399. Deducting a few grand from a product that is going to list for around $600 will be difficult.

No one is suggesting you give away your hard earned cash so that someone else can buy the finished product for less. You can donate $100 for nothing out of the goodness of your heart if you want to. But they're not asking you to do that - they are offering to actually give you something for your money. It's just that the product isn't built yet. So you're paying a reputable amp builder an advance for a product that will be delivered once made. Unless the project doesn't achieve its goal, in which case it will cost you precisely $0.00.

This concept is not that difficult to understand. It's kind of like buying a hot meal. You can pick something already made out of the hotbox, or you can order something off the menu and wait for the cook to put it together fresh for you in the kitchen. Either way, you're buying a product. Why should it cost less if it is being made to order?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Sound bytes did nuthin for me. I'll stick with my VHT2150 and misc....

Comment

Working...
                          X