Help deciding on amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacksonguru91 View Post
    I actually played the 5150 III and wasnt to impressed. I just felt it was lacking something. .hard to explain. Well ive eliminated the krankenstein just because the "dime channel" dont get me wrong i love dime but i just dont want my rig to have someone else's name on it no im atuck between the v3, laney gh100s and The peavey xxx
    I think you better play it again
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Regarding the Carvin, I just found out recently that Carvin can be a bit of a pain in the ass if you ever have anything breakdown. My bass player has a Carvin Redline R600 bass amp, and it's a fantastic sounding unit, but last week something died in the power section, so we took it to our local amp guru to have it checked out. He told us that Carvin refuse to ship out parts, and want you to ship the amp to them, and they will repair it instead. That means that you're also out the cost of shipping on top of any repair costs. IMO that is a terrible way of doing business.

Anyhow, a decent used head for $600 is pretty easy when it comes to high gain, but nice cleans, not so much. I'd recommend a 5150/6505, but you won't get nice cleans from it. Rivera KTre would be a good option for shitload of gain, and gorgeous cleans, but you won't find one for $600.

Unless you absolutely have to have an all-tube amp, I would actually suggest you look into getting a Randall V2. It's a hybrid amp with both SS and tube pre-amps. It will do ultra high gain, AND a really nice clean channel. They usually go for $500-600 used.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
        I think you better play it again
        +1.

The EVH is a faceripping beast in the high-gain department but cleans up beautifully as well. The low end is really tight on channel 3 so maybe that's what you found it was 'lacking'. Before i bought mine i was seriously considering a Carvin V3M but after hearing the EVH i was sold. Check out my thread about it.
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonguru91 View Post
          I actually played the 5150 III and wasnt to impressed. I just felt it was lacking something. .hard to explain. Well ive eliminated the krankenstein just because the "dime channel" dont get me wrong i love dime but i just dont want my rig to have someone else's name on it no im atuck between the v3, laney gh100s and The peavey xxx
          Carvin V3 = The amp that Steve Vai uses

Laney = The amp Tony Iommi uses (and many others like The Sword)

Peavey = EVH - XXX = The Peavey that Satch uses.

Dude, for real? You show up with any model Krank and people are going to say "Dime". His mug was in their ads. Their amps were on Dime's stage. They sold amps because of Dime. They went out of business because all the Dime fans who would buy one did buy one.

Anything you show up with is going to relate to someone else.

And there's no shame in that.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Carvin V3 = The amp that Steve Vai uses
            No, Steve uses the Legacy, Legacy 2 and Legacy 3.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
              He told us that Carvin refuse to ship out parts, and want you to ship the amp to them, and they will repair it instead. That means that you're also out the cost of shipping on top of any repair costs. IMO that is a terrible way of doing business.
              If it's still under warranty, Carvin should pick up the shipping cost.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Well, this thing was definitely out of warranty, and even if it wasn't, we're in Canada. I'll bet they won't cover that.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  The R600 (and the entire Redline series) from Carvin have been out of production since 2005 (they weren't listed in the 2006 catalog), so it was long out of warranty.

But even so, I've been told that even on current offerings, Carvin prefers to do the repairs in San Diego rather than ship parts....

Comment

Well i went and played a 6505 and an 80s carvin x100b. Although the 6505 had brutal distortion it was just to modern for my taste. It kinda reminds me of the 5150 III not really a bad sound but it just doesnt hit that sweet spot. I love that crunchy metal sound like crowbar, slayer or early ozzy with jake e lee. I just think the 6505/5150 is way to modern and everyone uses them, kinda like emgs, once youve heard one youve heard them all. I guess basically i love that almost organic metal sound not to to much gain but just enough. I came when i played the carvin x 100b and it was the 1984 model. Im thinking jj el34s and some nice jj 12ax7 preamps. M maybe do a little hot rodding, possibly add a diode for clipping...just kidding. But seriously the pawn shop down the road wants $175. I told them a whole bunch of bs about it saying it needs this and that and we agreed on $175. Lol they came down from $300.📼
                    You cannot kill the metal! The metal will live on!

Comment

And vai used the x100b in the 80s and possibly in the 90s then they made the legacy for him but i heard somewhere that he doesnt even use it, i heard he actually plays a Bugera or Bogner? Weird right?

Comment

If you are looking for brutal gain go with a used Randall SS RG head of some sort, the cabs usually have V30's in them.
                        Head and cab should be in your price range.
                        Lots of gain and great cleans.
                        I wouldn't hesitate to play one at a gig.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Actually theres a randall halfstack at one of my local pawn shops and i think its an rg and tgey want like $200

Comment

I can't recommend a Laney Ironheart enough.

On a side note, I'm selling a Jet City JCA100HDM for $499 It would suit your need nicely as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                              I can't recommend a Laney Ironheart enough.
                              It sounds awesome on Youtube:
                              Greetings and thank you for watching this video. Below are some links to products that I use: ThomannMy guitar ?? https://redir.love/61EwP3naMy amp ?? htt...

Comment

I wish it was a little cheaper lol still gotta by a cab

Comment

Working...
                                X