Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing tubes?

Hey dudes,

The most work I've ever done on a tube amp is changing the tubes out a Jackson preamp. I know nothing...

I've been doing some research (google!) on my amp (YCV80). Recently its seems like its developed a "hum/buzz", that I don't recall being there. Even with the noise gate. It just seems to be there, regardless. Some of the forms I checked suggest tubes is a good place to start. I've never changed the tubes. Although I do know they've were change about 18 months ago. I play a fair amount. Fairly loud. I really don't know the first thing about this amp other then I like really like my tone...

How often should I change my tubes? ( I would imagine "it depends")
    How difficult is it to change the tubes out? It appears simple....
    What other signs are there that tubes need to be change?
    Short of just taking my amp in to the shop, what else can I check for that could cause this sudden noise?
    And lastly, can someone recommend a good place to buy tubes, they've had good luck with?

Thanks guys....
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

I use tubedepot.com.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Changing the tubes is easy....biasing them is another story depending on the amp. Check out www.eurotubes.com they sell tubes and have quite a bit of information. They also have a specific section on the Traynor YCV amps. I think people seem to love or hate JJ tubes. The last time I dealt with them, they were very informative and had no problem answering their phone and helping out with some biasing issues.

Comment

preamp tubes are easy. Bang in some new ones & go.

power tubes do need to be biased. Just checked the Traynor page on eurotubes - good info there. Nice work, ulijdavid
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the info....I just wonder if I need power tubes. from what I've read they don't need to be replaced as much as preamp tubes....does that sound right?
          I guess I need to have a good look at the tubes....I'm still hesitant to start replacing tubes and just assuming that's what's causing the noise....

Comment

Just be careful poking around in there, all sorts of stories about voltage hazards, etc.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
              Just be careful poking around in there, all sorts of stories about voltage hazards, etc.
              Agreed. I'm going to do some more research, I don't really know what I'm looking for...

Comment

read the FAQ on the eurotubes site. Lots of great information
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
                  Thanks for the info....I just wonder if I need power tubes. from what I've read they don't need to be replaced as much as preamp tubes....does that sound right?
                  Nope, it's actually the other way around
                  My 1991 Hafler still has it's original preamp tubes in perfect working order

Doesn't mean Preamp tubes can't go bad, I actually had a 'vaunted' NOS Mil-Spec 5751 lose it's vacuum
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                    Nope, it's actually the other way around
                    My 1991 Hafler still has it's original preamp tubes in perfect working order

Doesn't mean Preamp tubes can't go bad, I actually had a 'vaunted' NOS Mil-Spec 5751 lose it's vacuum
                    FML!...at the very least I should be able to have a look and see if the tubes are ok....I've seen enough vids and done enough reading to check that out.....maybe..lol

Comment

I change power tubes (on my gigging amp) after about 80-100 hours of use, assuming they last that long. Roughly every year. My other amps at home, I wait till an issue arises then typically will change tubes.

Comment

I have done a shit load of reading on this subject. I just need to get over to my rehearsal space so I can check my amp out... This weekend. For all I know my tubes are fine. But it would seem this sudden noise is certainly a good place to start. A full re-tube seems reasonable if necessary...

Comment

Noise can be caused by a lot of things. Whenever I hear you need to replace tubes every year I recall the bass player in my previous band who had a 1968 fender bassman with original power tubes, and they sounded fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            Noise can be caused by a lot of things. Whenever I hear you need to replace tubes every year I recall the bass player in my previous band who had a 1968 fender bassman with original power tubes, and they sounded fine!
                            I guess every band he played in managed to convince him he sounded best with the volume at 0.5?
                            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Could be fluorescent lights, bad power feeding in from the wall...gotta check all the bases!
                              "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                              ENGL Powerball II
                              Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                              Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                              Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                              1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                              1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                              2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                              2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                              1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                              2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords