Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH 5150 III Marshall 4x12

Hello all,
    So I just ordered a EVH 50w 5150 III head. I was torn between the getting the head or the combo. I really am looking to use the amp for playing out vs. using it as a home practice amp. So my question, I have two 4x12 cabs.
    one is a 320w Crate (Celection Equiped) with V12-80 Silver Series, and a 300w Marshal 1960B cab that I have not yet confirmed but I'm thinking it has the G12T-75 speakers. I'll obviously try both and see what sounds best. I wish I had enough for a EVH 2x12 or 4x12 cab, but Mr. Wallet said no for now. So has anyone had any experience using the 5153 50w head through any other cabs? What do you think?
    2012 ESP M-1 NTB
    2008 Jackson COW Silverburst
    1988 Jackson mutt (Model 2 w/Jackson USA neck)
    1960 Les Paul Junior
    1992 Epiphone Les Paul Custom

My buddy has the same amp except it's the 2X12 combo. It sounds killer no matter what you plug it into. The speakers in the combo are great and it sounds awesome through a Marshall 1960 A or B as well. I've let him plug into a few of my cabs when he comes over to jam and like I said it sounds fantastic no matter what it's plugged into. You've bought yourself a great amp and in my opinion you won't be disappointed regardless of what you play it through.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I played one through my V30-loaded rectifier 2x12. Sounded great if you like the 5150 sound. Perhaps a tad bright; if I remember correctly Eddie proffers greenbacks in his cabs - which would be much more mellow.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

I've gigged my 5150III 50W head through a Marshall cab and i've also used it through a Hughes & Kettner cab loaded with Celestion Rockdrivers. It sounded monstrous no matter what!
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Thank you guys! can’t wait till I get it. Already ordered. They were out of white so I got the black tolex, and they through in a EVH cover for the head. Should have it by next week Ill post picts! I got a good deal on the head from a friend at a local music store. It will be brand new in the box for $859+tax. Super excited!

Lou
          Last edited by louie088; 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM.
          2012 ESP M-1 NTB
          1960 Les Paul Junior

Comment

Some speaker pictures of what’s in the two cabs I have. Like I said, I’m going to try both but I’d be interested to hear anyone’s opinions on which speaker cab they think will sound better. Did some research on the EVH cabs and they are only 20w speakers! (G12EVH) so the EVH 4x12 is only 100w cab. I guess the main differance between what I have and the EVH speakers is that the EVH cab would break up at much lower volume. But on the other hand my 100w JCM800 w/tubes pulled to run @50w sounds fine through a 300w cab. IDK. guess I find out soon.

Crate slant (Celestion equipped) 320w 4x12 V12-80 Silver Series:
            IMG_4282.jpg
            Marshall 1960B Lead 300w 4x12 G12T-75:
            IMG_4328.jpg
            Last edited by louie088; 03-21-2014, 07:33 AM.
            2012 ESP M-1 NTB
            1960 Les Paul Junior

Comment

Congrats bro. About a year ago I was waiting for the combo and was dead set on buying it as soon as it was available. A shitload of my favorite players/bands are using those... Vogg, Eric Peterson, Gojira etc. Moshwitz however convinced me to try out the Axe II and I'm not sorry I did. But... I've got a couple cabs kicking around and I'm still seriously considering a 50 watt head. I'll probably grab one from Sweetwater or MF soon. Again, congrats!
              Hear the universe scream
              Bleeding from black holes
              Whom horns careless
              And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
              X