thinkin about a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinkin about a new amp

What's up guys! It's been a while, hope everyone is doing well! I've just been quietly plugging away at this life thing.

You all helped me tremendously on my last amp purchase, which was a perfect fit, so who better to ask this time around?

Here's the rundown; my tastes have changed in the last few years, been getting a lot more into classic rock and blues sounds, still definitely into metal, just not as much the chugga chugga chugga chirp chirp kind lol. Pretty much the tonal capabilities of the 6505 aren't cutting it as much for me anymore, and overall just wanting to switch things up. I've been harboring this for about a year now, wanting to wait it out to make sure it wasn't just a whim, and I'm pretty confident it is not.

Been doing a lot of YouTube and searches, the two that are standing out to me are the Laney Cub head, and the Marshall DSL 15H. The Laney is only single channel which kind of sucks but I could work with that for the price difference. Laney also seems to have a little bit better clean sound. The Marshall has the better lead sound, dual channels, but is a little higher $$. Really not interested in a combo and I have an old peavey cab that I love.

Anyone have any experience with these two? What are your thoughts on them, comparative differences, quality, and any other suggestions. The Marshall would be the high end of what I want to spend, and it's not entirely necessary, but I really like the idea of adjustable wattage.

As for sounds, I want to have good cleans, and a good drive to build on.
    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Have you checked out the Iommi Laney yet? Seemed to cover everything you're talking about from the reviews I've seen on YouTube. Rob Chapman reviewed the little one and it seemed really interesting
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Looks cool and I do like iommi, but head is double what I wanna spend and not interested in a combo. Heavy ass combo + cab sucks to move around

Comment

Seems like the more YouTube videos I watch for various amps, the more I'm drawn to the Marshall. Jmo, the VHT, blackstar, and bugeras sound cold and lifeless, the egnator rebel sounds ok, and the Laney sounds pretty good, but there seems to be something about the DSL15

Comment

What about the Randall's? You can get the head and then add the channels later. I'm running an RM100LB with one preamp. Still need to get a clean and lead preamp but it was allot cheaper for me to go this route

Comment

It looks interesting, I've never looked into modular amps because it sounds too similar to modeling amps which I'm not a fan of personally. Lol gonna have to do some research on how this works

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
              It looks interesting, I've never looked into modular amps because it sounds too similar to modeling amps which I'm not a fan of personally. Lol gonna have to do some research on how this works
              The Randall Modular MTS series is not a modeling amp. It's a tube amp with an easily removable preamp section. I've had a Randall RM 100 head for several years now and I like it quite a bit. Then there is an entire aftermarket modding industry dedicated to tweaking those remove able MTS modules even further.
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

one possible issue with the RM100 - if a 15w combo is too heavy to lug about, you may not like a 70lb head
                Hail yesterday

Comment

I'm saving for a Soldano Hot Rod 25. My tastes are similar to yours, and I just sold my 5150 with the proceeds seeding my NAD savings program. There's a couple YouTube videos on the head - check them out and let me know your thoughts. Good luck in your quest!

Comment

Buy a SLO-100 and quit wasting time on anything else!!!!!!

Comment

SLO is out of his budget...

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                        Anyone have any experience with these two? What are your thoughts on them, comparative differences, quality, and any other suggestions. The Marshall would be the high end of what I want to spend, and it's not entirely necessary, but I really like the idea of adjustable wattage.

As for sounds, I want to have good cleans, and a good drive to build on.
                        Considering that you're interested in adjustable wattage, have you considered the Laney Ironheart? It also has good drive & nice clean
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

It's not the weight, it's the size. 6505 combo is heavy also, but it's the size that's annoying to haul along with a cab because Idc about the speaker that comes with the combo.

Was just toying with the idea of expanding and was interested in lower watts because we all know how the "non enthusiasts" appreciate the sound of tubes breaking up. Lol

I could sell the 6505, put 500 with it and buy used but wasnt really my first thought, I love the 6505, just wanting to mix things up, try some new out. Plus haven't got anything new in a WHILE, so yeah haha, you know how it is

I do like the Laney sound, that's why I was checkin out the cub, reviews for its quality tho kind of scared me off of it tho.

I guess it's just the marshall sound I'm after, I didn't think it was, but any videos I hear from them I'm like, yup. Lol

Was talking to a Marshall fanboy and he said the quality of the Vietnam made stuff is terrible, but he also said anything post Jim Marshall is terrible so Idk hah, sounds like nostalgia

Comment

Well, I believe I have decided. Going a totally different direction hah been lookin at the zoom g5 Was planning a trip to GC this weekend to check and hopefully pick up a strat but Ive been messing around with the warmoth body builder and think I'm going to go that route instead, gonna check out the zoom tomorrow and use some of what I would save on either project epi LP or my Kelly. Kelly needs new pups, bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X