I heard the greatest sounding amp I have ever heard live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard the greatest sounding amp I have ever heard live

Splawn Quickrod through a stock Marshall 1960A with Vin 30's in it. No effects. No nothing. Guitar, cord, amp head and cabinet.
    Absolutely the fullest metal tone I have ever heard. Sounded me at times like Glen Tipton tone live. It sounded a lot like George Lynch Dokken tone, in first gear it nailed classic AC/DC tone, the clean was amazing. There wasn't a single week point in the tone of this amp which was on 3 in a VERY loud metal band. It was a 2 guitar metal band and the lead guitar player was using a 5150-II that I modded for him through a 5150 cab. His tone was amazing too but not even close to the splendor of the Quickrod.

I would say the Quickrod easily sounds better than a Soldano SLO but it did remind me of it.

The Quickrod is my next amp.

I've been eyeing the SuperSport Combo as of late. Have you ever tried any Friedman amps?

Comment

Yea it is an awesome sounding amp I heard one with a guy using a les paul and emg's and that was steallar as well. Scott is a great guy too I highly recommend Splawn amps just remember they sound best VERY LOUD !!!!!

Comment

Just curious - isn't there an MTS module (Quick Mod?) that replicates this? Anyone know how it sounds compared to the real thing?

Comment

I've had a couple Splawns - great amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
            I've been eyeing the SuperSport Combo as of late. Have you ever tried any Friedman amps?
            I have a Friedman BE 100. Yes, the Friedman stuff sounds fantastic.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
              Yea it is an awesome sounding amp I heard one with a guy using a les paul and emg's and that was steallar as well. Scott is a great guy too I highly recommend Splawn amps just remember they sound best VERY LOUD !!!!!
              This guy was playing a Les Paul with EMG's in it too. A Mid 80's Silverburst.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                Splawn Quickrod through a stock Marshall 1960A with Vin 30's in it. No effects. No nothing. Guitar, cord, amp head and cabinet.
                Absolutely the fullest metal tone I have ever heard. Sounded me at times like Glen Tipton tone live. It sounded a lot like George Lynch Dokken tone, in first gear it nailed classic AC/DC tone, the clean was amazing. There wasn't a single week point in the tone of this amp which was on 3 in a VERY loud metal band. It was a 2 guitar metal band and the lead guitar player was using a 5150-II that I modded for him through a 5150 cab. His tone was amazing too but not even close to the splendor of the Quickrod.

I would say the Quickrod easily sounds better than a Soldano SLO but it did remind me of it.

The Quickrod is my next amp.

I'm not surprised that you liked the Splawn so much. Given the tones you've always admired
                in your posts the Splawn is right up your alley. I love my Competition, and would recommend
                Splawns in an instant. Scott Splawn is a way cool guy too, and the amps are guaranteed for
                life!

Comment

I also like my Quickrod very much.
                  By the way jgcable, do you know if it was one of the recent ones, or was it an old one (year-wise)?
                  Scott now does 2 slightly different versions of it. I'm just curious which one it was.
                  thanks

Comment

I had the older quickrod and it was amazing! Had to sell it tho as I am in bedroom now exclusively and they need volume to shine. I'm currently running a Randall that doesn't need as much but I miss my splawn.

Comment

The EVH 5150 III I tried recently sounded nice at a low volume. Does a Splawn sound bad until you blow the walls away?
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

From what I remember my quickrod was either loud or off that thing was all power

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                          From what I remember my quickrod was either loud or off that thing was all power
                          That's what I'm reading in a lot of places. Maybe I should just get a JVM and shut up about it.
                          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by ilbianconero View Post
                            I also like my Quickrod very much.
                            By the way jgcable, do you know if it was one of the recent ones, or was it an old one (year-wise)?
                            Scott now does 2 slightly different versions of it. I'm just curious which one it was.
                            thanks
                            Its a new one. Brand new.

Comment

There are attenuators on the market that can help with the volume issue. I use an Alex or a Faustine Phantom with my non-master volume Marshall Randy Rhoads head. They work out well. The Faustine Phantom is no longer in production but grab yourself an Alex or an Aracom or whatever your favorite Attenuator is and buy the head that sounds best to you
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X