Crate BV120 f*** what ya heard!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
    They aren't bad amps, and if you get one cheap enough, they're a good buy. There are however much better options out there.
    I never turned my gain past 6. Even when I had a mesa. Like you said there are better options out there but IMO there are only better options if you spend $150-$200 more. Im speaking of the used market of course. only others ive seen at the same approx price are stuff like the valveking. which i think is terrible for metal but again just my opinion.

Comment

when gigging, I don't use any pedals, just the channel selector. So this would be a no go for me haha
      Out Of Ideas

Comment

ha ha ha. yeah just raw sound the bv is not too impressive. maybe if ur chicken pickin it may suffice lol

Comment

I slightly disagree, I have a love/hate relationship with the natural sound of the BV. There are definitely better options out there(but money does matter). If you're getting a fizzy sound you may want to try different preamp tubes, I like the 12ax7's but they can sound harsh or even microphonic. You may want to go with a more subtle tube like the 12au7... Also check your biasing. For the money they're unbeatable, unless you happen to come across a great deal of a lifetime - that sometimes does happen(not to often though).
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I just read another discussion these the other day and I believe there were 3 generations of these? It seams Gen 2 is the most liked of the 3.

Comment

yeah no one liked the first one with the color splash. theres 4 different ones i think. blue w splash, blue with standard serif text, black with serif text, then the black with sharpie looking text.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                blue with standard serif text
                That's the one I had..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

oh and i remember Jayster had the sammy hagar red

Comment

oh and i remember Jayster had the sammy hagar red
                    Haha, yeah that was the 3rd or 4th one I had. Then I bought one from you, and have another currently...

The Red Voodoo -

Last edited by Jayster; 04-28-2014, 02:35 PM.
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

man, just seeing that room makes me wanna slap ur ex lol

heres my black doodoo lol
                      Last edited by jdr94; 04-28-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

yeah no one liked the first one with the color splash. theres 4 different ones i think. blue w splash, blue with standard serif text, black with serif text, then the black with sharpie looking text.
                        And from what I was told by a rep from St Louis Music (former owners of Crate), the first 3 were all identical with the exception of cosmetics. I can't comment on the 4th version because at the time, the 3rd one had just come out. Of course, being a rep, he could be full of shit, but why lie about that? :think:
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Well, I disagree. Its generic, thin, bland. If it was my only "High" gain tube amp I would love it but its not. Almost every tube amp sounds better. For $135 I would have bought it in a second though. Regarding Toejam's comment as "amazing". Jeez bro.. you need to start listening to other amps. Regarding the statement that it can hold its own against a Mesa Recto. Nope.. not even close. Not even a little 50w Single Recto. No way no how.

Most use this amp with gain or overdrive pedals out in front and you definately need an EQ or some sort of sonic maximizer because this is a very thin, buzzy and grainy sounding amp until its turned up so loud the cops from another county will come to arrest you.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Regarding Toejam's comment as "amazing". Jeez bro.. you need to start listening to other amps.
                            I didn't say that. I've actually never owned a BV120. I said owned a BV60 that sounded amazing with KT66 tubes.
                            I'm not sure how close the 60 is to the 100, but I know reading is fundamental...
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

that would be my comment. my other guitarist had a triple rec and i the bv120. did it sound like the mesa of course not. was i able to keep up volume wise for practice and shows, absolutely

one thing to note is i did have all of those mentioned. overdrive infront, eq and sonic stomp in the loop. going to a randall xl cab w v30s which makes a huge difference. any other speakers or a poor quality cab sounds bad no matter what when using the bv120. just my opinion tho.
                              Last edited by jdr94; 04-29-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

show me a guitarist who plays with no pedals/effects! So whats a couplemore pedals...
                                Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                                when gigging, I don't use any pedals, just the channel selector. So this would be a no go for me haha
                                While I really don't have an issue with the Crate BV120 (they are LOUD) and the sound is pretty good, I gave up adding pedals in front of my signal years ago. Guitar - Head (Bugera 333xl) - cabs.......... that's all.
                                Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                                X