Carvin V3 Half Stack - Who has one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin V3 Half Stack - Who has one?

I've been looking at the Splawn Quick Rod lately, as everyone and their brother knows. But the Splawns have a waiting list and they're more than my "preferred" budget.

But I'm also somewhat intrigued by the Carvin V3 half stack.

My main question is..... how is it for shred? I don't care a thing about "da brutalz," that modern scooped thrash tone with the Cookie Monster vocals. I want a nice, clear, warm LEAD tone, ala Eddie Van Halen, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, etc.....

In this video, it seems to get some good sounds:

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Been wondering myself, I want an amp that can do everything from smooth overdrive to EVH solo's to da brootalz and everything in between. I think Toejam has one
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

I have the 2x12 combo. I like it. It is brighter than it is warm, but it does a fair job at copping that hot Marshall tone. It can get pretty gainy too.

Edit : I think it would serve you well. Particularly with an EQ and drive to help tame the "sizzle" it has. Think Peavey JSX if you don't know what I mean by sizzle
      Last edited by Grim; 04-26-2014, 12:08 AM.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

I have a Carvin V3 head and a Quick Rod. The Carvin is good but at the risk of fueling your Splawn GAS, if I were to choose one only it would definetly by the Splawn Quick Rod
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
          I have a Carvin V3 head and a Quick Rod. The Carvin is good but at the risk of fueling your Splawn GAS, if I were to choose one only it would definetly by the Splawn Quick Rod
          (sigh) Yeah. I'm afraid that ANY amp I get aside from a Quick Rod will leave me thinking, "Why didn't I get the Quick Rod?"

So I'm screwed. But it's screwed in a good way. I'm getting a Quick Rod.

Comment

PowerTube, If your serious about wanting a nice, clear warm lead tone. BUY a Soldano SLO, find a nice used one on ebay and your amp search will be over. BTW, if you get a Soldano SLO, you wont be thinking "Why didn't I get the Quick Rod?"

Comment

Originally posted by 87jackson View Post
              PowerTube, If your serious about wanting a nice, clear warm lead tone. BUY a Soldano SLO, find a nice used one on ebay and your amp search will be over. BTW, if you get a Soldano SLO, you wont be thinking "Why didn't I get the Quick Rod?"
              I also have a Soldano SLO and its awesome too! But a used SLO is still a few hundred $ more than a new Quick Rod. Can't go wrong with either of those.
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by 87jackson View Post
                I haven't had a chance to plug into either, but based on the videos I've watched I like the Splawn tones better.

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                  Been wondering myself, I want an amp that can do everything from smooth overdrive to EVH solo's to da brootalz and everything in between. I think Toejam has one
                  I used to have one for quite a few years, and it's a great amp, especially with its extra global EQ. I sold it last year because I got the smaller V3M and couldn't justify having both at the same time.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                    I also have a Soldano SLO and its awesome too! But a used SLO is still a few hundred $ more than a new Quick Rod. Can't go wrong with either of those.
                    Rudy - The keeper of all that is hot rodded Marshally goodness!!! Dear lord man,you will need to post a pic of your current amp room.
                    Last edited by veemagic; 04-26-2014, 12:46 PM.
                    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                      Rudy - The keeper of all that is hot rodded Marshally goodness!!! Dear lord man,you will need to post a pic of your current amp room.
                      Hahaha, I don't have them all out. Most are in road cases with a couple out. I love playing the various amps but my friend who is our sound guy wishes I would stick to one amp for consistency. One time I show up with a Cameron CCV to a gig, the next a Bogner Uberschall
                      I will say that gigging them live is quite different from playing them at home. There really are lots of good amps out there. The youtube clips can be very deceiving. some amps sound so so on youtube but in reality they're magical. when i fist plugged into the SLO i couldnt stop soloing for nearly 2 hours its that good! unfortunately it doesnt come across that way on youtube. Gotta love the hot rodded Marshall sound
                      Last edited by roodyrocker; 04-26-2014, 04:22 PM.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I used to have one for quite a few years, and it's a great amp, especially with its extra global EQ. I sold it last year because I got the smaller V3M and couldn't justify having both at the same time.
                        I'm also interested in the V3M with a 2x12 cab. Is the V3M lacking anything that the larger V3 has?

Comment

The V3M has EL84 power tubes and doesn't have the global EQ section. Sounds pretty close to me, though.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            The V3M has EL84 power tubes and doesn't have the global EQ section. Sounds pretty close to me, though.
                            I like both from what I've seen. The price is right and so is the availability. But at this point I have major "Splawn fever" and anything else I buy will leave me wondering.

Comment

How long a wait are they talking about? I was quoted 8 weeks on mine back in
                              2008, and it arrived in 6. No idea how long they are now...

Comment

Working...
                              X