Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp Tubes for a 5150

Hi there,

It is time to change the tubes in my 5150 script logo head.
    For the power tubes I have a matched quad Ruby 6l6GCMSTR
    I have this tubes available for the preamp:
    1 tungsol, 1 Sovtek 12ax7LPS, 2 Electro Harmonix, 2 Chinese no brand (I think it´s sino), 1 Sylvania 12ax7WA

What is the best preamp combination? What should I put in V1, V2, V3, V4, V5?

Thanks in advance for all the comments and advice.

What's wrong with your preamp tubes? Unlike power tubes, preamp tubes hardly ever go bad and don't really need to be changed.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      What's wrong with your preamp tubes? Unlike power tubes, preamp tubes hardly ever go bad and don't really need to be changed.
      Nothing it´s wrong with the preamp tubes, it´s just that I need to change the power tubes, because I noticed some volume drops, and the amp has the same tubes since I bought it (and it was used gear) and I think I could improve the sound by upgrading the preamp tubes.
      The preamp stock tubes are chinese (I guess), because they don´t have any brand.

Comment

Buy a set from Ebay or Eurotubes. I ran a matched quad of Sovtek 6L6's and various 12Ax7A's in mine. Volume drops are most likely power tubes but I agree.. change them all if they are original. Just make sure you get a matched quad of power tubes.

Comment

Working...
        X