Got my Splawn Quick Rod!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Splawn Quick Rod!

Well, I got my Quick Rod and cab yesterday. I was going to hold off posting this until I had a chance to take some pics, but those can come later.

It's a 2014 Quick Rod
    Drop B+ option
    Bright White Plexi head with gold piping, white chicken head knobs

The cab is a straight 4x12 with Small Blocks, also in Bright White with gold piping to match the head

This thing is SWEET! I played with it for a while last night and here are my observations:

The master loop volume works as advertised, but..... I see no need to use it. I can play this head at a very reasonable low volume and make it sound great. I also haven't tried the half-power mode yet.

It's a bit on the stiff side, as everyone says, even with the Drop B+ option. However, I decided to try an idea; I ran my ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff in the front, and WOW! It just SINGS! Harmonics practically just jump right out and I finally have that sweet singing lead sound that I miss about the JCM 800. I'm only using the Metal Muff as a boost, with the volume at about 10:00 and the distortion at maybe 9:00-ish. It's just the right amount to push it over the top with full saturation at low volume.

The amp has great definition, but playing at such a super low bedroom volume will make any amp have just a little fizz, and I must say that this one has far less than most I've tried. Next, I'm going to try my Boss GE-7 EQ to see if it really makes any difference. This is bringing back memories of my JCM 800.

When the opportunity arises, I'll ditch the boost and crank this baby. As everyone says, it's definitely LOUD. But as I said in another thread, I believe that I can tame pretty much any amp to sound great at low levels.

The quality just screams in everything about this amp. And for all it's worth, the Vetta rig is going bye-bye.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

cool!! hope it works out for you in the long run.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I am looking forward to more reviews as you get used to it. Congratz. Its a fantastic professional amp and white with gold piping is SO nice looking .

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        I am looking forward to more reviews as you get used to it. Congratz. Its a fantastic professional amp and white with gold piping is SO nice looking .
        Thanks. If weather permits I'll get some pics on Saturday.

Comment

Sweet! Congrats on your new score.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

nice. Can't wait for pics
            Hail yesterday

Comment

That great news, congrats! Sounds beautiful, and everything you hoped for so far. I love it when a plan comes together.
              "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Hopefully I can get some pics posted tomorrow.

On Wednesday when I got it, I discovered that my ancient Digitech PDS 2020 (Delay, Chorus, Flange) now has crackling knobs. And besides, you have to manually switch between the three effects with a switch and you also can't combine them. So I went to GC and got a Boss DD-3 delay.

This was stupid, because I'm also going to want chorus, reverb, phasing, and a flanger. So, the DD-3 is going back tonight and I'm getting a Boss ME-80 multi-effect unit.

Any of you have an ME-80? The reviews are great on it.

Comment

Congrats! You know I'm a fan of white amps and Splawns. For effects, why not just put something like a TC Electronic G-Major in the loop? It covers the effects you mentioned.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                    Congrats! You know I'm a fan of white amps and Splawns. For effects, why not just put something like a TC Electronic G-Major in the loop? It covers the effects you mentioned.
                    Thanks.

I looked at the G-Major, but the ME-80 is $150.00 cheaper and it seems to fill the bill.

Comment

Ahh the drop B+ option eh? Feeling SAGY!

I love the QR's. They are the bad ass's of the amp universe. Congrats! Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

Okay, I finally took a (crappy) pic of it. It's overcast here today so it wouldn't do me much good to lug it outside for a real pic.

Once weather permits, I'll get some real shots of it.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

That's nice!!

Comment

I just realized that it looks yellowed like Vintage White in the pic, but that's just my crappy camera. It's as white as white can be.

Comment

Working...
                              X