No announcement yet.

Mesa Mark IIB opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 3203 with an old Laney 4x10 loaded with Celestions. Great amp. How are you running yours (which channels and settings, pedals, effects loop gadgets, etc)?

One of my favorite classic Marshall tones is Judas Priest's "Heading out to the Highway"

Sorry, nothing to add about a Mark IIB or pricing one, but I've tried them and liked them. Must have EQ and Reverb.
    Last edited by DonP; 07-01-2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      I have a 3203 with an old Laney 4x10 loaded with Celestions. Great amp. How are you running yours (which channels and settings, pedals, effects loop gadgets, etc)?
      mine is set with the reverb off, master at 12 o'clock, bass and mids at 12 o'clock, treble at 1 o'clock, preamp at 2 o'clock on the clean channel. I don't use the boost channel unless I am recording. I have nothing in the loop.

I play in 2 bands - a country rock band where I use fender strats with texas special pick-ups, and a hard rock band where I use a variety of humbucker equipped guitars. for the country band I us an MXR custom badass OD for my drive sounds. for the hard rock band I use an MXR prime distortion for the drive sounds.

here's a pic of my pedal board:

here's a short video clip of my hard rock band live - I am using my Adrian Smith sig....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

here's a song from my country band:

Videos by Trailer Hood Studio, Instrumental music from Largo, FL on ReverbNation
      Last edited by markD; 07-01-2014, 05:23 PM.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Nice board! MarkD how does that Carbon Copy work into the front end of the amp? I usually have a hard time with delays in the front end but have heard the CC does a good job.

I think all my favorite bands from the early 80's like Maiden, Priest, Scorpions, etc. all used 2203/4 at some point. There's just no substitute for getting at that tone. Awesome!
        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

since I am running the marshall clean, the CC works great in the front. when developing this rig, I took the maiden (circa 1985) approach - everything in front of a marshall!!! I looked at the inside of the "live after death" sleeve at the gear they used and sort of based my rig on that.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            mine is set with the reverb off, master at 12 o'clock, bass and mids at 12 o'clock, treble at 1 o'clock, preamp at 2 o'clock on the clean channel. I don't use the boost channel unless I am recording. I have nothing in the loop.

I play in 2 bands - a country rock band where I use fender strats with texas special pick-ups, and a hard rock band where I use a variety of humbucker equipped guitars. for the country band I us an MXR custom badass OD for my drive sounds. for the hard rock band I use an MXR prime distortion for the drive sounds.

here's a pic of my pedal board:

here's a short video clip of my hard rock band live - I am using my Adrian Smith sig....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

here's a song from my country band:

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/a...videos/3945948
            Nice work and very nice pedal boards Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              The seller of this Mark IIb is delusional. He feels its worth $1300-1400 even though he has had it listed for $1500 for over a month now. He also happens to have a 1996 RR1 in black sparkle. He is looking for $1500 for that and not a penny less. I think that's over priced too.

Anyway... I am looking to trade my Mesa Single Rectifier Series 2 head for a Marshall. Preferably a Plexi or a 2203, 2204, 2210 maybe a TSL100. I am also interested in trying out that JMD100 after hearing one live that blew me away.
              He is now down to $1295. I offered him my Gary Moore Gibson Les Paul BFG and $200 for the amp. The Gary Moore BFG's sell for around $1000 used so I figure for $1100 a 1979 Mark IIb with EQ, 60/100 switch and reverb in blond with a factory EV in it is an even trade. I think he is going for it. I will find out today.

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
                Nice board! MarkD how does that Carbon Copy work into the front end of the amp? I usually have a hard time with delays in the front end but have heard the CC does a good job.
                Originally posted by markD View Post
                since I am running the marshall clean, the CC works great in the front.
                I also have a CC delay... it works great in front of my Carvin V3M, clean or distorted. I usually put delays in the loop, but I haven't even tried it in there yet as it's so good in front!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's the delay I have had my eyes set on for a while now. I am using a Rocktron Cyborg Digital Destiny Delay but I have heard nothing but great reviews on the CC. I need to get one.

Comment

I have a boss space echo coming, but the carbon copy is NOT getting replaced. it sounds amazing. you really do need to get one.
                    GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
                      FWIW I have owned my MkIIC since 1992. It has weathered a storm of amplifiers parading by but I've always kept it. It is a 1x12" 60/EQ/RV/EVM/wood-wicker. Frankly I'd go after that MkIIC and forget the B as long as it has the options you'd like. I actually think the C has become one of the most rare Mark series as many folks converted to the "+" version over the years which primarily improves the FX loop. I doubt many non + C versions still exist.

As for value of the B I'd say $900 - $1,100 range. The C is probably $1,200 - $1,500 or so IMHO.
                      I am supposed to be picking it up tonight. I am trading him my Gary Moore Gibson LP BFG and $200 in cash for it. The BFG's seem to sell for around $1000 on Ebay so basically I am getting this Mark IIB for $1200. Its a blond with a factory EV speaker, reverb, EQ, 60/100 and the original footswitch.
                      I don't like the neck profile on the Gary Moore so I rarely play it. I am looking forward to getting this amp. The one thing that is interesting is the year. The seller is claiming its a 1979 Mark IIB. From what I read... the Mark IIB didn't come out until 1980. I guess the serial number will tell the story. It does have all the pull push knobs and the effects loop on the back along with the presence and reverb controls.

Comment

Make sure it's an effects loop and not just the slave out and power amp in jacks. That would be a IIA. Not much difference between the two other than the loop. Serial number is easy to check.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          Make sure it's an effects loop and not just the slave out and power amp in jacks. That would be a IIA. Not much difference between the two other than the loop. Serial number is easy to check.
                          I won't find out about the serial number until I see it tonight but until then...

It has the following...

Pull Bright
                          Pull Shift
                          Gain Boost
                          Pull Lead
                          Pull Bright
                          Slave knob and jack on the back
                          Send and return jacks that are factory marked on the back
                          Altec Lansing speaker (which seller claims to be factory stock)
                          Fan
                          EQ
                          Reverb
                          Blonde Tolex

Comment

Sounds good. Enjoy it.
                            Blank yo!

Comment

So what happened? Did you get the amp?
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                                So what happened? Did you get the amp?
                                I ended up not getting it. The guy wanted too much money for it and was really stuck on the fact that he thought it was a super rare amp.
                                I ended up picking up a 2 month old Marshall DSL100H (thats the new one with the 50/100 switch and the resonance control) and an original Marshall 1960A cab loaded with Vintage 30's and I scored a really nice 5150 half stack. The cool thing is I already have the other 1/2 of the half stack so now I have a full stack.
                                Still looking for a nice Mesa Mark series amp though.

Comment

Working...
                                X