No announcement yet.

Roland JC120 and Boss GT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't mind trying out one of those. I wouldn't wanna spend a grand on something I haven't demoed though.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

john, I am doing something similar these days - running a marshall "clean" and using stomp boxes. there is just something very satisfying about going old school. glad you are enjoying the roland rig.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
        john, I am doing something similar these days - running a marshall "clean" and using stomp boxes. there is just something very satisfying about going old school. glad you are enjoying the roland rig.
        I agree. I think it could be my "old" ears craving for good old stomp box tone. For the majority of my "career" playing live I always used clean amps with stomp boxes. Most of my amps didn't even have an effects loop or more than 1 channel. Probably one of the best tones I ever had was a Hiwatt 120 watt head into 2 4 x 12 Marshall cabs with an MXR Distortion + and a Phase 90 out in front. I was going for the Randy Rhoads/Saxon/Judas Priest type tone and it pretty much nailed it. I was running Altec Lansing speakers at the time. Those Marshall cabs probably weighed in at least 120lbs each. That was at a time when loud stage volume was VERY normal. We used to open for Twisted Sister and they JJ and Eddy had literally a WALL of Marshall full stacks all cranked. I know they were cranked because I was backstage and could hear them. They used everything.
        Anthrax did too. So did TT Quick and Zebra. Twisted Sister was easily the loudest club band I ever heard. It wasn't just loud.. it was crystal clear too. They had GREAT tone live. I wonder what happened when they got to the recording studio because their studio sound SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          Mark, back to the Roland JC-120. Its awesome. If my band gets more popular and we start playing more festivals... (we are playing at the Norwalk Oyster Festival in 2 weeks with Scott Stapp from Creed, Joan Jett and Tito Puentes Jr. We are opening for Tito on Sunday), I am going to try to work in a switching system and use the JC-120 for clean and my 5150 for rhythm and solo.

Comment

I am picking up an amp switcher and I am going to run the JC-120 for clean live. I am also going to use it for a keyboard stage amp.
            Every once in a while you run across an amp that is just something special. I felt that way about the 1st year Peavey Triple X 1 x 12 combo that I own. Its an amazing 3 channel SWISS ARMY KNIFE of amplifiers. With this one amp you could play any style of music with no outboard pedals or effects.
            The JC-120 is another one. It begs you to stay home from work and play it all day long. Its also the loudest amplifier I have ever heard in 37 years of playing LOUD.

Comment

Well that's odd...I'm pretty sure I had a bunch of posts on this thread, yet they are now gone. Strange; did something happen to the forum, does this kind of thing happen often? Not that it was incredibly important stuff, just thoughts on the JC120 GT8 combination. Google even shows this thread with three pages, yet here on the site it shows only two. Anyone know what gives?

Comment

Originally posted by atarilovesyou View Post
                Well that's odd...I'm pretty sure I had a bunch of posts on this thread, yet they are now gone. Strange; did something happen to the forum, does this kind of thing happen often? Not that it was incredibly important stuff, just thoughts on the JC120 GT8 combination. Google even shows this thread with three pages, yet here on the site it shows only two. Anyone know what gives?

SIte crashed with no recent backup. Lost a few months of posts.

Comment

Working...
                X