NAD Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack

Before you flame me.... I have an excuse. I had a darn heart attack so I have only been playing at home. No band for me for a while. Anyway...
    I was at the music store and heard somebody jamming on an HT-5. This is the 5 watt all tube Blackstar head. Its high gain. It sounded fantastic so I bought one along with 2 closed back Blackstar cabs with 10" speakers in them. I wanted closed back rather than the semi-open 12" speakers. It was a cheap rig used and in mint condition.
    I gotta say... if you are looking for CRANKED high gain tube tone but you don't want the cops to come this is the answer. It has a knob called ISF which basically allows you to adjust the frequency anywhere from British high gain Marshall to American high gain Mesa and anything in between. Its got a loop so I was able to put my delay in there. Its great fun to jam to a full cranked tube tone at such low volume levels. This is a fantastic practice at home rig or recording in the studio rig. Its probably loud enough for a small band but you would need to turn it all the way up.
    Even at almost whisper volume levels the cranked all tube tone shines through. Its not fizzy or buzzy and it has a very open and organic tone to it. Even the clean channel is good and yes.. its only 5 watts.
    Check one out if you haven't already. You will be very surprised.

Great score indeed.
    I love my HTstudio 20 head and 2X12 cab with the WHS green beret speakers.
    Its my go to everyday amp.
    The ISF control is the shit IMO.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You're already playing the "I had a heart attack" card Seriously?

Just bustin your ball sack John. Sounds cool. I haven't tried one, but if it gets the "jg" and "stray" seal of approval, then shit I'm going have to try one out.
      "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Blackstar are really great amps.
        Being able to dial in Mesa to Marshall tones is what sold me on them.

Comment

Make a vid would love to hear it
          USA Jackson RR1
          Charvel Model 6
          Jackson Performer-2
          Orange Dark Terror
          EVH 5150 LBX
          Hello Senòr

Comment

I thought the one I had for a week was really weak when it came to the gain.

Comment

My local dealer is having a Blackstar road show on Wednesday. I might go just to check them out, but I doubt I'll hear anything that will convince me to lose the Axe FX 2.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                I thought the one I had for a week was really weak when it came to the gain.
                There must have been something wrong with it. The one I have has enough gain to play any 80's metal with the gain on 7. What this amp doesn't have is that compressed saturation that many players mistake for gain. Instead.. it has more of an "open" gain similar to a cranked Marshall. Its very articulate and open sounding. Gain is one thing that this amp has on tap with plenty to spare. I could play old Priest or Scorpions with the gain on 5 no problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post

... if it gets the "jg" and "stray" seal of approval, then shit I'm going have to try one out.

Yah, if those 2 guys like it, it's good! This made me dig mine out over the weekend
                  and I had a blast cranking it. Cool amp, for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                    Yah, if those 2 guys like it, it's good! This made me dig mine out over the weekend
                    and I had a blast cranking it. Cool amp, for sure...
                    The best way to describe it is.. its a really fun and responsive amp to play. I put a digitech Digidelay in the loop and its just a blast.
                    Is it a touring amp? Nope. Could it compete with a loud drummer and band.. nope although its pretty loud dimed out.
                    What this amp shines on is providing a high gain tube sound at volumes low enough for home use. It responds like a tube amp, it sounds like a tube amp because it is one. It is also a forgiving amp and with the ISF control you really can dial in an almost exact reproduction of most of the 80's and 90's metal tones. I would also say it would make a fantastic recording amp because it really does sound like a full stack high gain tube amp turned up when its at extremely low volume levels. Its almost magical how Blackstar was able to come up with this. I also heard that Marshall makes several very nice sounding sub 5 watt amps.

Comment

I love Blackstar amps! I have two of the ID Core series. A ID Core260 combo for band stuff and gigs and a ID Core20 for practicing. I plan on getting one of their tube amps sometime soon.

Comment

Thanks for the write up. I'm looking for a low wattage tube amp to compliment my THR10X, and the Blackstars have caught my eye. I've been jamming on a 20w combo (I think it's the Studio?) at a local store and love its tone.

I've been torn between going with the "regular" HT-5 and the 5w Metal head.

Comment

I have the HT studio 20 half stack (2X12) with whse green beret 20 watt speakers.
                          It has plenty of gain and sounds like a million bucks.
                          One thing I did was use a 12AT 7 mullard in the PI slot and a matched set of JJ EL34's
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by straycat; 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Making a vid ?
                            USA Jackson RR1
                            Charvel Model 6
                            Jackson Performer-2
                            Orange Dark Terror
                            EVH 5150 LBX
                            Hello Senòr

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                              I've been torn between going with the "regular" HT-5 and the 5w Metal head.
                              I have the HT-5 Metal combo. You can check my writeup on the amp here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/141...tar-HT-Metal-5

Hope this helps!
                              -QR
                              Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Working...
                              X