No announcement yet.

NAD..... Peavey 6505+ 1 x 12 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotta re look at the Peavey's. I loved the gain channel in the 5150 but hated the Clean channel. Did they improve it since then? The 6505+ is basically a newer version of the 6505 and the 5150.
    I see many people going with the smaller amps these days. Are the likes of the 4 x 12 cabinet and head kinda dead? I'm a 2 x 12 combo guy myself as I like having the ability to Krank out the volume yet be able to manage moving it around. Heads and cabinets are heavy and more work IF you need to move them around so I do see the attraction to the 1 x 12. I wonder how it sounds vs the 2 x 12?
    Peavey always makes badass amps, I've been a fan since the 80's.

Comment

I'm also curious what did the cream back speaker change in the tone? Did the clean channel sound a bit better with the speaker change? I tried out years ago a pair of Sheffield speakers in my Krank and hated them. I use the Eminence Legends which after hearing the Sheffield's go are incredible speakers.
      For the Money this little big for a 1 x 12 amp would be a excellent practice amp.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
        I'm also curious what did the cream back speaker change in the tone? Did the clean channel sound a bit better with the speaker change? I tried out years ago a pair of Sheffield speakers in my Krank and hated them. I use the Eminence Legends which after hearing the Sheffield's go are incredible speakers.
        For the Money this little big for a 1 x 12 amp would be a excellent practice amp.
        After a lot of gigs here is my take. The stock Sheffield speaker sounded better. It was easier to hear and had more pronounced midrange. The Creamback is darker and harder to hear on a loud stage. The clean on this amp with either speaker is excellent. You don't need a cleaner clean channel if you play the type of music that this amp is designed for.
        Basically... I think its a great amp for home, studio, band rehearsal or gigs and it doesn't need tube changes or speaker changes. It is perfectly fine bone stock.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
          I gotta re look at the Peavey's. I loved the gain channel in the 5150 but hated the Clean channel. Did they improve it since then? The 6505+ is basically a newer version of the 6505 and the 5150.
          YES! I went from 5150 to 6505+ and the clean channel is vastly improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharpin View Post
            YES! I went from 5150 to 6505+ and the clean channel is vastly improved.
            Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I have not plugged into one since the 5150 was still selling new. I plan on spending some time with the 1 x 12 combo as it would be perfect for home practice use.

Comment

Update from this thread I started 2 years ago. I still have this combo. I tore out the Celestion Creamback and put the stock Sheffield back in it.
              I think the Sheffield sounds better. It has more of an edge and its easier to hear live.
              Anyway... this amp still rocks huge. Sounds fantastic all the time. No issues. No worries. Built like a tank. Heavy as a tank too.
              Big cab for a 1 x 12 but that's why it sounds so good on its own.
              For the rock or metal player... this is a hard to beat 1 x 12 combo.
              One of the most common questions.. still... years later.. is.... "how loud is it and can it keep up with a loud drummer"?
              Answer is ABSOLUTELY. With the POST volume on 5 and the PRE volume on 6 this 1 x 12 combo could keep up with a drummer who is pounding their kit. Even though this amp sounds fantastic at whisper quiet volume levels for home use it is equally at home on stage cranked up. Take this to a gig and even if the other guitar player is playing out of a 4 x 12 1/2 stack you will have no problem cutting through. It throws an incredible amount of sound.

Comment

The only flaw to this combo is its sheer size and weight. Its fairly large and it weighs 65lbs so its not exactly portable.
                That's the only issue. I have a foldable hand truck so its no problem transporting it.

Comment

We had an older 5150 212 model. Rubber handles on it are a joke. It needed casters and a roadie Sold it to a kid who moved into town and was getting an apartment. I'm sure he got evicted soon after the arrival of the 5150.

I have 5150 Sheffields from my old 4x12. I put them in my 2 ADA 212's. I could part with a couple of the Sheffields if you guys are in need. PM me if interested.

Comment

I had a pedal made for my 6505+ 112, it kinda does the 4 cable method, bypassing the preamp section, effectively adding a clean channel, guitar->pedalboard->power section, the pedal has a volume control that’s only active when the preamp is out of the loop, otherwise its bypass. I had to get a buffer (polytune 3) cause it’s a lot of cables. Now I can do those glassy cleans

I swapped the speaker for a v30, using a mrx 10 band eq in the loop to shape the sound.. digging the amp now
                    Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      The only flaw to this combo is its sheer size and weight. Its fairly large and it weighs 65lbs so its not exactly portable.
                      That's the only issue. I have a foldable hand truck so its no problem transporting it.
                      LOL! i did exactly the same thing, got a little handtruck, roll it around like a suitcase now.
                      Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X