Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like playing through modeling amps better and I sound better!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the Line 6 HD500.
    Sure, it takes some time to 'learn' how to make it work, as does just about any mfx unit. Particularly for me, since I hadn't really kept up with the technology. But, as long as my unit works, I can't see any reason for me get an Axe or Helix or anything else. It really is a killer unit.

The one thing I will note, though, I am sometimes backlined. So what you see me playing is not always my own gear.
    I can't honestly say that if I needed to own my own 100% of the time, if I would get one or the other or both or neither. But I can say this much:
    I wanted a floor unit, not a rack unit. I wanted the floor unit so I could control it. Also, because I wanted a stand-alone device. Which meant that it would be the only thing in a 12 space rack. Seems foolish to waste all of that space, and I wasn't about to put my 3 space rack case on a stage floor.

Like 'The Tone King' said, there comes a point where all the tweak factors of the Axe -- you are paying for features that most people will never use. Who really needs to be able to digitally reproduce what happens when you open your amp and change diodes and transistors. That is a tweakers dream, but an expense that very few need.

Comment

I scored a hell of a deal on a Line 6 DT25 head yesterday. I have an HD500 linked up to it and without a doubt, it's the most fun I've had in a LONG time.

I have my little Blackstar for when I want that one tone and feel (super saturated high gain. the little Metal 5w head just feels good to play through), but with the DT25/HD500, I can get any effects and amp tones I want at any time.

Nothing wrong with a modeling amp. Tube amps are great in their own right, but the rack/floor modelers out their these days are the shit. These aren't like the Vetta of yesteryear...the stuff we have access to today is just incredible.

Comment

All I adjust on my my Axe FX is the controls the original amps have. You don't need to tweak. The tweaks are there if you want/need them, but you certainly don't have to use them to get live/studio ready tones. In the video above Andy Wood is playing those country licks through a factory preset with no adjustments. Now, he could play through a Pignose and sound amazing, but the myth that you need to be adjusting tube and diode values to get good tones is not true.

And you aren't paying for the tweakability, you are paying for the hardware. The Axe FX II uses two of the most expensive and powerful DSPs available as well as high quality D/A converters. The software is included free in the package, along with any updates. The AX-8 (Floor unit) uses less powerful processors to come in at the $1400 price point, but you sacrifice the ability to run dual amps in a preset.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The Kemper sounds as good as my real amps, but at any volume, and with all the effects I need, and most importantly (for me), I can get an actual volume boost for my solos, as opposed to my '69 Super Lead and '80 2203. I don't see myself ever going back to be honest. The modeling stuff has improved A LOT over the years, and I feel the Axe FX II and Kemper were huge milestones in modeling technology. I'm still not saying my Kemper sounds EXACTLY like my '69 Super Lead, I'm just saying it sounds as good. I might actually sell the 2203, since I don't use it. The Super Lead however... It just feels good to own one.

Comment

Working...
          X