No announcement yet.

Got a cool Bassman rig for Christmas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a cool Bassman rig for Christmas...

As the title says, I got a cool Fender Bassman rig for Christmas. My wife knows I am a sucker for vintage Fender stuff, and most of my gear has been moving in the Fender direction for the last couple of years. My current number one guitar is a Fender Jaguar...anyway, I digress. This was a complete and total surprise. I did see it and tell her about it, but it was more in conversation not in an expectation of purchase - she researched, worked the deal, did the whole thing herself.

Here's the run-down. It is a 1965 blackface Bassman. It is 100% original - tubes, caps...everything. It even still has the 2-prong plug. The tube chart says AA165 with the stamp OF, which dates 1965 (O) June (F). The transformer and choke codes are all within the later part of 1964 through the first part of 1965.

I also got the original matching cabinet. It came with the original speaker wire!!

The entire rig is pretty much mint for being nearly 50 years old. No rips in the tolex or grille cloth. There are a few scuffs here and there, but overall this could be a museum piece. The bad part is that the filter caps need replacing - there is some cauliflowering on most of them.

Aside from some hum, the tone is amazing. Crank it up and it sounds like the best Marshall I have ever heard. Keep the volume marginal, it sounds like a Fender - clean but with some "bloom" on the notes. Here's the crazy part.....it sounds the most powerful when used with a Telecaster. Humbuckers are good, but this sucker was made for a tele....

I do intend to gig this rig. I am in a dilemma though - aside from the caps, do I change the plug too? I mean, logic dictates that I do - and keep the vintage part (2 prong plug) in case I sell it. Thoughts?

Pics:

You can see the bursting on the caps in this pic. I DO have the little cover that goes over the caps....

Gut shots...

original tubes. RCA 7025 preamp tubes and Sylvania 6L6GC power tubes:

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

More pics. The choke and bias adjust pot:

Choke and a transformer with the codes showing. It is cool to have a "numbers matching" vintage piece. Every one I have had prior to this has been modded or repaired in some way. This is like finding a mint muscle car in a garage!!!

Look at that grille cloth!!! It looks TOO good in the pics. It is more of a goldish color in real life - stained from age, and probably some cigarette smoke (even though the rig smells clean overall).

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yes get that 2 prong cord replaced if you are going to gig it.
      Have it gone thru and replace what needs to be replaced,filter caps and other components degrade over time and fall out of spec.
      Be good to the amp and freshen it up and it will last another 50 years.
      I have had several late 60's and a few 70's bassmans and they are bad ass.
      Great score.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

NICE. if you just using it at home leave it, otherwise swap out the plug. I wish I still had my old silverface sounded great just wasn't what I needed at the time.

Comment

That is awesome. I would get it serviced if it was me but I love that it is in original condition. I e always wanted a bassman.
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Those AA165 Bassmans are killer amps. I think the AA165 is the first "CBS" version of the Bassman. The AB165 has a little more gain still. The AA model is pretty rare AFAIK. I don't think they made very many of that one.

If you are changing caps, get the plug modded and keep the original. It could save your life.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I would get the power cord changed first thing and doing so will not hurt the value at all.Just keep the old one in a baggie taped to the inside of the cab so you don't lose it.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X