Help me cut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    Simply stated, the lead guitar should not really need a volume boost, the rhythm guitar should drop back. Honestly, with 2 guitars playing rhythm, they should be even with each other in the mix, while still letting the bass, drums, and vocals come through clearly. When one rhythm guitar drops out to play a solo, the other rhythm guitar should be noticeable but not fighting with the solo for sonic space. The singer should not have to scream over the guitar, and the drums should not have to be hit with maximum force on every hit to be heard.

Mr Rhythm guitar will have to learn to work within a band context, plain and simple, and find another way to get "his tone", even if it means his amp sits further away from everyone else.
    hey, my rhythm guy was boosting when I'd take solos. He thought he needed to fill in the sonic space of me not playing rhythm. And everyone was complaining to me that I couldn't be heard Shit was getting loud & I still couldn't cut through

It took me a couple of shows to realise just what he was doing. It never occurred to him to allow space for the solo to be heard

Ironically, he often doesn't boost during his occasional melodic/solo parts. But I'm self aware enough to change my approach or lighten up my picking so that he can still be heard
    Last edited by VitaminG; 02-04-2016, 09:29 PM.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Why dont you play through his amp and let him play through yours for a song and see if he notices the tone . Also he could turn down the tone knob on his guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        His tone may not be shit. Rather.... its just not right when blended with your tone. Tell him to turn down and darken his tone up some. Roll down the mids and the treble on his amp and turn the volume level down a little and that should be fine.
        I think John is on to it. Nickyboy, you didn't specify if the mix issue was during rehearsal or in a live room, or both? Also this "shrill" sound as you explain it, is it the treble or mids causing the perceived issue? The room is going to change a lot in the way the two guitars will have to be EQ'd, especially regarding the mids, to find their correct position in the mix. The SLO should be perfect for live rooms, and as said before, cut through anything. Is it possible you are running for the rehearsal room (more often than not too dark or muddy), and he is EQ'd for a live hall? (more mid forward) Obviously either way you two need to play together in both situations, and adjust accordingly.
        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Working...
        X