GT-100 across Carvin X100B - Amp Control issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT-100 across Carvin X100B - Amp Control issue

Okay, I was wrong in the other thread: my Amp Control on the GT-100 is NOT working across the X100B. I was mistaken. Long story, but tonight I unplugged the cable between Amp Control and the 1/4-inch footswitch jack on the amp, and plugged the 4-button footswitch back in. It works great but I want to be able to switch wiith the GT-100.

Anyway, getting to the point..... I've found where people say that the Amp Control on the GT-100 is Mono only, that is, no TRS. But in the GT-100 manual in the Amp Control section, it clearly illustrates a TRS (2-ring) cable being plugged in. Also, on Carvin's website, the little 2-button, 1/4-inch FS22 footswitch clearly shows that it's also a 2-ring TRS jack.

So what's going on here? I LOVE the GT-100 but I really want to switch channels and save amp channel settings to the patches.

Anyone know the deal?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

I looked at the GT 100 manual and I read it as a single mono circuit. The Carvin is a TRS for the channel and reverb. When you use the amp control, does the reverb switch on and off? If it does, some creative wiring with a TRS cable would make the amp control work, but you would only get one switch, so either channel or reverb. I suspect that the verb is sleeve to tip on the cable and the channel is sleeve to ring for control, you could verify this by shorting the sleeve to the ring then the tip. See which function changes state.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
      I looked at the GT 100 manual and I read it as a single mono circuit. The Carvin is a TRS for the channel and reverb. When you use the amp control, does the reverb switch on and off? If it does, some creative wiring with a TRS cable would make the amp control work, but you would only get one switch, so either channel or reverb. I suspect that the verb is sleeve to tip on the cable and the channel is sleeve to ring for control, you could verify this by shorting the sleeve to the ring then the tip. See which function changes state.
      I read similar advice on another forum, but here's what I don't understand. Are you saying to short these connections while the amp is on so I can see/hear what's happening? And if so, once I find the correct two points to short, should I then solder a wire to short the connection on that end of the cable permanently?

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
        Thanks for your help, and you were exactly right. In the case of my cable, it was:

Red-to-Sleeve switched Reverb with Red to the tip

White-to-Sleeve switched the channels with White to the ring.

So, I cut off one end, the GT-100 end, of my cable. Then I installed a new plug with Red not connected and White to the ring (and ground to the sleeve, of course).

It switches like a champ now!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
          Thanks for your help, and you were exactly right. In the case of my cable, it was:

So, I cut off one end, the GT-100 end, of my cable. Then I installed a new plug with Red not connected and White to the ring (and ground to the sleeve, of course).

Cool man glad you figured it out. I was gonna mention about the amp control that it's only a Mono connection and can only switch ON and OFF basically which is on my amp CLEAN and KRANK channels. I have a third stage on my original footswitch which on my KRANK channel it goes to a different Volume setting. The channel has lead volume and rhythm volume.
          I don't get to use the other volume setting due to the way the Boss GT100 controls the amp channel switching. I work around it and IF I want to use the higher volume setting I just build a patch with the Patch volume louder or raised higher then another channel.
          I wrote Boss to build a Waza Craft Level GT100 with out any Modeling and better quality. The highest quality they can build. I don't care if it cost a lot more as I feel this is the way to go. I'm happy with the GT100 now but there are some things can can be greatly improved like the Amp channel switching. It's not like they just started using more then 1 button on amp control switches, they should have provided the standard on many amps 3 positions on the amp channel switching.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
            Cool man glad you figured it out. I was gonna mention about the amp control that it's only a Mono connection and can only switch ON and OFF basically which is on my amp CLEAN and KRANK channels. I have a third stage on my original footswitch which on my KRANK channel it goes to a different Volume setting. The channel has lead volume and rhythm volume.
            I don't get to use the other volume setting due to the way the Boss GT100 controls the amp channel switching. I work around it and IF I want to use the higher volume setting I just build a patch with the Patch volume louder or raised higher then another channel.
            I wrote Boss to build a Waza Craft Level GT100 with out any Modeling and better quality. The highest quality they can build. I don't care if it cost a lot more as I feel this is the way to go. I'm happy with the GT100 now but there are some things can can be greatly improved like the Amp channel switching. It's not like they just started using more then 1 button on amp control switches, they should have provided the standard on many amps 3 positions on the amp channel switching.
            The frustrating thing to me is that they could have explained it WAY better in their owner's manual. Until today I thought that the Amp Control setting just meant that "On" = Yes, it's controlling the amp, or "Off" = No, it's not. Once I finally sort of wrapped my head around it, it was actually kind of cool to test. Once I found that it was indeed switching the Reverb on and off, I then stripped one end and started touching the red and white wires to ground. Sure enough, the white wire touching ground vs. not touching ground was switching the channels. I soldered it up that way, White to the ring, and it works like a charm.

Yeah, some things could be done better. I like your idea about modernizing the amp switching. Maybe they could even add a second effects loop or something to make it even more versatile.

The one mystery I still haven't cracked is, why do the settings for Speaker Type, Mic Type, and Mic Distance have no effect on my sound? I'm wondering is if those are strictly meant for recording or running direct to a PA.

Comment

Glad I could help!

Comment

The frustrating thing to me is that they could have explained it WAY better in their owner's manual. Until today I thought that the Amp Control setting just meant that "On" = Yes, it's controlling the amp, or "Off" = No, it's not. Once I finally sort of wrapped my head around it, it was actually kind of cool to test. Once I found that it was indeed switching the Reverb on and off, I then stripped one end and started touching the red and white wires to ground. Sure enough, the white wire touching ground vs. not touching ground was switching the channels. I soldered it up that way, White to the ring, and it works like a charm.

Yeah, some things could be done better. I like your idea about modernizing the amp switching. Maybe they could even add a second effects loop or something to make it even more versatile.

The one mystery I still haven't cracked is, why do the settings for Speaker Type, Mic Type, and Mic Distance have no effect on my sound? I'm wondering is if those are strictly meant for recording or running direct to a PA.
                I find that strange. I can hear the differences when I play with those settings.
                So what is your output setup? Mine is Combo return.

Comment

I find that strange. I can hear the differences when I play with those settings.
                  So what is your output setup? Mine is Combo return.
                  Mine is Stack Amp.

Comment

I just switched mine momentarily to Combo Return, plus tried some others. Each one I tried changed the sound dramatically, but still I get ZERO difference when changing the Speaker Type, Mic Type, Mic Distance within each output type.

Could there be some setting somewhere that has these disabled?

Comment

I just switched mine momentarily to Combo Return, plus tried some others. Each one I tried changed the sound dramatically, but still I get ZERO difference when changing the Speaker Type, Mic Type, Mic Distance within each output type.

Could there be some setting somewhere that has these disabled?
                      I just tried mine .
                      So I built a patch with the Soldano preamp and I'm in Combo return. I turned on ORIGINAL cabinet and the sound changed. Then switched to 4 x 12, changed again, switched to OFF and the sound changed again.
                      I also tried the different mic setting with each one changing the tone. It's a slight tonal difference but I can hear each switch. I prefer Mic OFF and Cab's OFF IF I was going to use one of the Modeling amps which I don't.
                      If your wired in the 4CM you should be set up as Stack Return.

Comment

I just tried mine .
                        So I built a patch with the Soldano preamp and I'm in Combo return. I turned on ORIGINAL cabinet and the sound changed. Then switched to 4 x 12, changed again, switched to OFF and the sound changed again.
                        I also tried the different mic setting with each one changing the tone. It's a slight tonal difference but I can hear each switch. I prefer Mic OFF and Cab's OFF IF I was going to use one of the Modeling amps which I don't.
                        If your wired in the 4CM you should be set up as Stack Return.
                        Okay, thanks. I'll try Stack Return. I hadn't really thought of it that way.

Comment

I just switched it to Stack Return and tried everything. Just like before, I can hear a very slight difference on Speaker Type, just barely even noticeable. But the other settings have no effect.

I switched it back to Stack Amp so I won't have to revamp my patches.

It's no big deal, really. I love the sounds I'm getting.

Comment

Working...
                          X