No announcement yet.

So many amps... so little time...lol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kemper is super responsive. I don't really care if it sounds exactly like the original amps or not, I listen to clips of PROFILES to see what I like, and kinda see the profiles as "amps" in that regard, no matter how I feel about the original amp (it DOES sound close, but still, it's not what matters to me).

I use this profile right now for my distorted tones, and it's KILLER! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR914VKQ-5o

For clean I use a Super Lead profile from the same guy, also very good, even though the distorted sounds clean up so well I don't always bother when I can just use the volume knob.

I honestly don't feel I gave anything up tone wise when I ditched my old Marshall 2203 which was my main amp before. I even have a '69 Super Lead that I NEVER use anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
      I would ditch all the pedal and the GT10 and go get the GT100. Use the Rivera as your main amp, sell off all others , buy a new guitar with the extra money you will have after you clean house and your set.
      The Rivera sounds like to me it's your favorite amp and works best. With the GT100, you can use an array of better sounding then the GT10's selection of OD pedals. The Gt100 is more organic sounding and damn near sounds exactly like stomp boxes. I did some comparisons and was shocked in the overall outcome. I also find Boss Multi Effects to sound way better then the Line 6 stuff. I mean tone and sound is totally personal but to me the Boss is the sound and the Line 6 is a copy of the sound.
      I'd wire the GT100 in the 4 cable method which since you own a GT10 you probably already know how to do. This way you can use your Rivera preamp section and place all effects exactly where you want them in your signal chain.
      I'm totally not fond of Modeling technology, I never heard a modeler pull off the tone of any amp correctly. The Boss GT100 is no different to me it sucks trying to use any of the modeling amps inside. Thats an opinion that is not shared by many. I like the way my amp sounds and don't like any of the preamps the GT100 offer which in many ways are an improvement over the GT10 which I had before the GT100. I also owned the GT8.
      Being in a Cover band playing different kinds of music I can't see using anything but a device like the Gt100 with a solid amp like your Rivera. And when your wired in the 4 cable method, you have the option to use the Amp modelers in the GT100 and get the sound you want. You might enjoy most or all of them which might really fit the bill with what music you are playing.
      The Peavey 6505+ is more of a 1 trick pony IMO which it does great. If it's not giving you the stage volume you require in a band with heavy players then adding a 2 x 12 cab to it might fit that bill if you are leaning that way over the Rivera which I don't think you are but that head got plenty of power and mid's to cut in a live band with a better cabinet or even just adding another 1x12 cab probably would make all the difference.

Having all pedals I so hear you on the tap dancing which with the Line 6 you don't have to do. Thats the same as if you used the amp you love in the Rivera and used what you already own in the Gt10. The GT10 is a pretty fantastic multi Effects Processor floor board. You need nothing else when using it in the 4CM. But I think you would enjoy moving on from that and getting the Gt100.

Like to know how you move forward.
      I have a GT100 too. I prefer the GT10 because its easier to dial in on the fly. More knobs. Sonically... I can't tell the difference between the 2. Heck.. I can't tell the difference much between the GT-8 and the GT-10. The big leap in tonal quality was between the 3 to the 6 and then the 6 to the 8. After that.. its just more features and a slicker interface.

Comment

For me this is a topic that I'm not totally fond of. Yes the Kemper is pretty damn cool but for me I like the real thing and don't need a room full of amps. I found 1 amp that does everything I need it to do and when that day comes where I need to get into something else I will. Don't get me wrong man, I'm a tone chaser so looking and playing different amps is fantastic. Owning the Kemper would be a very affordable and space savings way to find the right amp or amps for you. But in the end I would not want the Kemper as I would want that amp that the Kemper is profiled after.
        So if I purchased the Kemper, I think thats how I would use it. I would connect it to my favorite cabinet and get as many different profiles as possible and really search for my tone in it. Then once I achieve that goal like lets say the Bogner Ubershall was the amp I fell in love with on the Kemper , I would then want to own it and not just Profile or really Model fake it.
        I never played the Kemper and I have seen Youtube video's of people comparing it to the real thing and IMO I never heard it get it exact. I'd say it's closer then anything else I ever heard that to me thats not "good enough" which I'm not one of those guys who likes to settle. I'm ok with not having and saving for what I want.
        I'd like to hear your opinions on the Kemper since you already own several amps now. I'd like to hear how you feel about the response and tone.

Good luck with it anyway man, we all have to walk our now path.
        I tried Kemper and Axe FX with FRFR full blown systems live. They don't cut it for the club scene when the rest of your band mates are using high powered 1/2 stacks. They Kemper and the Axe FX sounds amazing. The problem is you can't hear it live when its parked next to a high gain all tube 1/2 stack. I can guarantee you 100% that if you put any Kemper or Axe FX rig with the best high powered FRFR speakers and the most kick ass power amp or power amps next to my Metaltronix M1000 1/2 stack or a Soldano SLO or a Dual or Triple Rectifier..etc.... you will swear somebody turned you off.
        Of course... for those of you fortunate to have pro sound every night with somebody running it that's different. I am talking real world... when you are in a band playing local clubs and supplying and handling the sound yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
          JG...

Fuck' em!

Rape the audience with every last Watt you can push out of that amp
          Teach them that not bringing enough friends to hide behind from the first time you strike a chord is their own fault for leaving with bleeding ears
          If the soundguy complains, sock him and let him wake up with that beer bottle he was paying more attention to than the FOH in his ass
          and when the manager comes,.. he's gonna find out in person that that big cross behind the drum riser has a function

ROCK 'N ROLL!!!
          You are 100% spot on. If my band only played 1 time at every club I would be right there! My motto has always been "if the crowd can talk amongst themselves... turn up". "If EVERYBODY in the club doesn't turn around at the first note or chord... turn up". "If you feel you aren't getting the attention your kick ass playing deserves.... TURN THE FUGG UP"

Comment

Oh yea.. forgot to mention.. I ended up using the Rivera again. I just can't get away from that amp. Yesterday I fired up my Vetta again. Damn that amp sounds good. I just think it would be next to impossible for me to hear it live regardless of the monitoring system. My band has a REAL stage level volume problem. Monitors to them (and we have a lot of them) are there just for looks I guess! I will be working on that with the mystery soundman we are supposed to be getting.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              I have a GT100 too. I prefer the GT10 because its easier to dial in on the fly. More knobs. Sonically... I can't tell the difference between the 2. Heck.. I can't tell the difference much between the GT-8 and the GT-10. The big leap in tonal quality was between the 3 to the 6 and then the 6 to the 8. After that.. its just more features and a slicker interface.
              Wow really? I had the GT8 and GT 10 and found the GT10 to sound much better then the GT 8. The GT100 was another step forward in tonal quality. I didn't however ever like any of the amp modelers. The Best Amp Modelers where in the GT10 as far as sound quality goes. I think the GT100 is to very Bass heavy. Every single Modeler I fooled around with I had to really raise the Presence control and lower the bass and mid's to make any kind of sense out of them.
              I just use the 4CM and use effects only. I like using the Expression pedal as a volume control.

Comment

I tried Kemper and Axe FX with FRFR full blown systems live. They don't cut it for the club scene when the rest of your band mates are using high powered 1/2 stacks. They Kemper and the Axe FX sounds amazing. The problem is you can't hear it live when its parked next to a high gain all tube 1/2 stack. I can guarantee you 100% that if you put any Kemper or Axe FX rig with the best high powered FRFR speakers and the most kick ass power amp or power amps next to my Metaltronix M1000 1/2 stack or a Soldano SLO or a Dual or Triple Rectifier..etc.... you will swear somebody turned you off.
                Of course... for those of you fortunate to have pro sound every night with somebody running it that's different. I am talking real world... when you are in a band playing local clubs and supplying and handling the sound yourself.
                I figured as much, nothing like the real thing in all sense of the statement my man.

Comment

Wow really? I had the GT8 and GT 10 and found the GT10 to sound much better then the GT 8. The GT100 was another step forward in tonal quality. I didn't however ever like any of the amp modelers. The Best Amp Modelers where in the GT10 as far as sound quality goes. I think the GT100 is to very Bass heavy. Every single Modeler I fooled around with I had to really raise the Presence control and lower the bass and mid's to make any kind of sense out of them.
                  I just use the 4CM and use effects only. I like using the Expression pedal as a volume control.
                  I don't use any of the modeling with my GT10. I use the 4CM too. I have the wah and a distortion pedal out in "front" and everything else in the loops. I have the GT10 set in manual mode of course. Its an excellent quick set up. I use just about everything the GT10 has to offer... harmonizer, all the effects, volume pedal for solo boost, EQ boost for solo's, many different effects and amp control on some of my amps (not the Rivera). it works great on all of my amps. The gates are great for some of my noisy amps too. I have a few of those. I also use the tuner of course. I am fully versed in setting up the GT6 through the GT100. Like I said earlier.. I prefer the GT10. Probably because I have used it the most live. I really don't hear any difference between the 10 and the 100. The 100 has better effects but the difference in quality is next to impossible to hear live and loud.

Comment

I figured as much, nothing like the real thing in all sense of the statement my man.
                    Absolutely. Just about everybody who is anybody uses the real thing live. Pro's that can have anything they want still use their favorite tube amps live and if they are too rare or fragile to use they just get the company to make them a reissue or signature model and they use those. I totally understand why the clinic players and the solo guitarists use modeling rigs though and they absolutely have a place in the studio. I saw a Foo Fighters concert yesterday on cable and they had a few Friedman BE100 white 1/2 stacks on stage with a Fender 1/2 stack mixed in. They were on and they were using them. Jeez... they get great sound live. I would assume they can afford any rigs they want but they prefer to use $3000 Friedman heads and $1000 cabs and traditional stomp boxes. Cool.

Comment

I run my Kemper through a Marshall 4X12. Monitors suck!

Comment

Absolutely. Just about everybody who is anybody uses the real thing live. Pro's that can have anything they want still use their favorite tube amps live and if they are too rare or fragile to use they just get the company to make them a reissue or signature model and they use those. I totally understand why the clinic players and the solo guitarists use modeling rigs though and they absolutely have a place in the studio. I saw a Foo Fighters concert yesterday on cable and they had a few Friedman BE100 white 1/2 stacks on stage with a Fender 1/2 stack mixed in. They were on and they were using them. Jeez... they get great sound live. I would assume they can afford any rigs they want but they prefer to use $3000 Friedman heads and $1000 cabs and traditional stomp boxes. Cool.
                        Alice and Chains Jerry is using Friedman and he use to use Bogner's. Most guys still use Stomp Boxes as they have guitar techs and help running them. Using a full pedal board to me is mental and un manageable. This is the reason I like the Boss GT100. It's the perfect solution for Stomp Box pedal tap dancing.

Comment

Ha..'sup fellas. Yes, still love playing and gear more than ever. For late night woodshedding and shreddin' I'm using about 100 bucks worth of gear. Mainly a Cheap low end 2001-ish Epiphone 'special" and trusty 30 wt Line 6 spider II. FREE Guitar Center picks. But I sound like me no matter what I use. I could be using my Bogner, Marshalls, Peavy 6505, Blackstar..ect...or any of my USA beautys in my stable. It stil sounds like me.

Much like JohnG and his Vetta, I'd pick my '96 Marshall rack over any amp I've played or owned. It's just PERFECT and consistant since day one. I actually want to buy an exact duplicate of the setup. The Vetta was way to complex for me, but players like John knew how to dial them in, and ruled with 'em like Mike Romeo/Symphony X for example.

My wife recieved a RCA tablet PC thingy and she's been playing with it..Facebook and all. She tested it on my silly ass. Just random woodshedding at 3:00 AM in our extra upstairs bedroom. I have amps on all three levels so I can just grab and play..it makes me happy. It never disturbed her, like the LOUD old Marshall 800s with touchy volume knobs. That used to rattle me too. I'm sure we all had those at one time.

Go with makes you sound and play your VERY best. There is no one size fits all or rules. Any good player's style and signature will shine thru no matter what they play.

***Maybe you could visit my wife's Facebook and see what we been up to. Valerie Zurlo.

TTYL man,

Rev. B Fuggums.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X