Nad evh 5150 iii lbx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nad evh 5150 iii lbx

This is quite an amp in a tiny, sub-20 lbs package. Although marketed as a 2 channel amp,
    it is nothing more than a single channel with 2 gain options. For the first week I owned it,
    I just played it in my home studio at very low volume, and I was pretty well underwhelmed, to the point I thought
    about returning it. Seems like a lot of $ for an imported amp with limited features, when the Peavey
    equivalent has everything but the kitchen sink for a lot less. But, I got this one as a scratch and dent
    and that brought the price tag down to a more palatable level.

So, I finally got to use it with the band, and everything changed. This amp just needed some
    'room to run.' I played all night on just the 'blue' mode, and it had plenty of gain and distortion
    for our over-the-top classic rock type material. I ran the master at about 1030 and the gain
    around 130 with the tone controls pretty much at noon, give or take. Biggest issue with the amp
    being that you can't use it like a 2-channel amp! The 'red' mode is actually quieter than the 'blue.'
    So you can't be smashing away on rhythm and then footswitch to lead without a noticeable volume
    drop. Exact opposite of what you'd expect. No worries though. Even on 'blue' there's ample distortion
    and you can simply roll back on the guitar volume for rhythm. Conversely, you can get a great rhythm
    sound and then hit the front with a little boost. I had an old FD-2 at practice, so I just turned the
    distortion way down and used it for a clean boost. Perfect!

This amp has tone for days. Brilliant, crisp high end and no fizziness. At low volumes, none of the
    controls seem to do much past the first third of their travel, but when played at 'appropriate' volume,
    everything changes and all controls come to life in spectacular fashion. Can't wait to see what's up with
    the 'red' mode at high volume, but so far I'm blown away.

Pros: Ample high gain, sparkling tones and FREAKIN' LOUD. I own several 2xel84 amps and
    this one is the loudest. Light weight, easy to carry. Resonance control that actually works,
    and 1/4 power switch, though you'll want to run it on full power. FX loop for my delay and
    chorus and sounds great.

Cons: Too loud for home studio use unless your studio is a big room and you don't have to worry
    about disturbing the neighbors. Lack of true channel switching on the fly, though you can work
    around it. Somewhat expensive for an import. Yah, it's pretty noisy, but it's a high gain tube amp,
    so comes with the territory. I used an EHX Silencer in the loop before my delay and Bob's your
    uncle. Dead quiet as used. Oh yah, forget about cleans, although you can get it pretty mellow by
    turning down the gain and backing off the guitar volume, but I wasn't looking for clean.

So, some may be put off by a couple of peculiarities, and to them I'd say be sure to try before
    you buy. I'd say that about any amp. I think with a bit more thought they could have ironed them
    out. Probably would have boosted the price up a lot too. For me, it's darn near perfect, and I can't wait to crank it
    up again...

Those little guys slay through a 1x12 Greenback. Portable and with a great high gain tone.

Happy NAD!

Comment

Call me old but what does NAD mean? New Amp Day?

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
        Call me old but what does NAD mean? New Amp Day?
        That is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
          That is correct.
          ALRIGHT!!! I'm not THAT OLD , I figured it out and I didn't even google it LOL.

Comment

Working...
          X