I think I found my tone... now I need a little help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I found my tone... now I need a little help

Been chasing tone for 40 years. I think I found it. Sovtek MIG50H tube midget into a 4 x 12 Marshall cab loaded with V30s. Ibanez TS9 AnalogMan Silver Mod out in front. 1/2 the gain is coming from the MIG, the other half is coming from the TS9. Together they sound amazing. When I switch off the TS9 I get a nice medium clear crunch from the MIG 50H which has a TON of gain.
    Here is the problem
    No effects loop so I can't get a solo boost.

The ultimate set up on this rig for me is the amp master volume on 2 and the gain(volume) on 3. The TS9 has the volume 1/2 up and the gain at about 9 o'clock. If I put a boost of any kind out in front it just adds more gain. I tried an EQ pedal boosting up the mids and there is not enough boost volume for the solo to pop through the mix. If I dial the master volume up more on the amp I can get a boost using the pedal but the amp gets too clear sounding. It just gets too bassy and clear.
    What I need... is a soundguy turning up my solos at the board which is NOT going to happen.

I had band rehearsal last night and the guys in the band were raving about my tone. It did sound amazing. The problem is with the amp and the TS9 dialed in perfectly there is no way for me to get a solo boost and I definitely need one. My metal band is loud and there are 2 lead guitar players and a keyboard player and a VERY hard hitting drummer and a loud bass player.

Clean boost pedal in front of the amp?
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

How about a Fryette powerstation? IT has a loop and can be used for attenuation if needed.

MrHiwatt
      Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
      RR1 Black
      RR1 Blue ghost flames
      Stealth EX
      Hamer Studio
      Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Seriously, any workaround will just be a compromise in this case if you like the tone that much. Just have it modded for an FX loop, it can't be THAT expensive to have done.

Or, you could do what I did...

I had the same problem with my early '80s 2203, and solved it by...

Getting a Kemper where I run a '79 JMP profile. I'm super happy though, no tubes to replace and all the FX I need built in.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhiwatt View Post
          How about a Fryette powerstation? IT has a loop and can be used for attenuation if needed.

MrHiwatt
          I second this idea.
          The powerstation is a good idea
          Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
            Seriously, any workaround will just be a compromise in this case if you like the tone that much. Just have it modded for an FX loop, it can't be THAT expensive to have done.

Or, you could do what I did...

I had the same problem with my early '80s 2203, and solved it by...

Getting a Kemper where I run a '79 JMP profile. I'm super happy though, no tubes to replace and all the FX I need built in.
            I see your in CT which hopefully you have some bad ass amp mod guys up your way as I was thinking the exact same thing here. If not your not to far away to deal with my guy from NJ. Check out Rob at Jaded Faith Mod's. He's a bad ass amp mod guy who really does an incredible job. He also does work for George Lynch so that says something about his talent.
            He tuned up my Krank Revolution 1 and it never sounded better.
            Here is a link to his website
            http://www.jadedfaithmods.com

Comment

Along the lines of the Power Station, how about a basic attenuator with a footswitch?

http://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone...er-attenuator/

Comment

no you didnt John...We all heard this before from you hahaha
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I ended up with an attenuator. I bought the Carl's Custom speaker soak. Its good for an amp up to 60w. It was only $45. Its perfect for my needs because I only need to attenuate my Sovtek down about 5db which doesn't affect the tone at all. Now all my pedals work great and my LPB1 clean boost pedal has more than enough oomph for my solo boost.

Comment

Working...
                  X