NAD. Peavey Windsor 100w Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD. Peavey Windsor 100w Head

Mint condition. Absolutely stupid cheap. Single channel with a footswitchable 10db solo boost and a footswitchable effects loop. Straight up EL34 based rock and roll machine. Very similar to a JCM800 2203 in regards to tone. Has a Class A/AB pot on it which is very cool and a resonance pot.

Pro's..... really affordable. Very powerful, its a straight up rock and roll machine with plenty of gain for early AC/DC with no pedals required. If I were on a budget and in an AC/DC cover band and I played Angus Young.. I would be using this amp. Having a footswitchable effects loop and 10db solo boost is nice. Build quality is typical Peavey. Even their offshore stuff is built really well. I have never had a Peavey amp with a problem and my first one was a Peavey Renown from the late 70's that 2 guitar players plugged into at the same time.
    I have full confidence that this amp will stand the test of time and abuse.
    The tone is absolutely Marshall British JCM800 to my ears.
    This amp is great for Bon Scott era AC/DC, early Judas Priest and Kiss.
    It takes pedals very well. My Okko Diablo, Analog modded TS9, MXR OD/GT, Fulltone OCD all sound great out in front of it.

Con's....... It doesn't really clean up. If you need a clean tone and you want to use the amp distortion for your crunch or hard rock tone you need to look at another amp. This one will not do both. You would need to add a pedal out in front and get your distortion from that and set up the amp for a clean tone only.
    I know I am nit picking here but I like my effects loop jacks on the back. I think the amp would have looked cooler if the chassis faceplate was shorter and the send/return jacks were in the back.
    Gain boost volume level should be adjustable. 10db is just too loud. It should have been set for 6db which is generally perfect.

Anyway... you can pick these amps up used for under $300 which is an EXTREMELY good deal.

These are great bang-for-buck 800 type machines. I have two 800's and am still considering picking up a windsor for a giggable backup

Comment

Working...
    X