NPD (new processor day): Line 6 Helix LT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD (new processor day): Line 6 Helix LT

I've been using my Boss GT-6 & Mesa DC-2 rig for about 15 years. Like a comfortable worn-in pair of shoes, I stuck with that combination and stopped following developments in musical gear (and the GAS it stimulates) until last year when I went on a guitar-buying binge. (You've seen all my NGD posts.)

By now, I figure I have enough great guitars that I should really be focusing my attention and finances on new tone-related products (or better yet, PLAYING AND PRACTICING). There is a dizzying array of new technology, including better processors, plugins, amp sim software, etc.

Tonight, I noticed my local branch of Long & McQuade (Canada's big music chain) had a barely-used, open box Line 6 Helix LT for CAD$1099 (USD$875.28) + HST. Impulsively, I bought it. This is my first ever Line 6 product.

Compared to the GT-6, I'm impressed with the Helix LT's intuitive interface and the CLARITY of sound. The GT-6 has always been slightly awkward to program, and even though I have one favorite tone that stuck with me, personally I don't find many of its amp sims useful due to the unit's "muffled" overall sound like there's a blanket over every tone it produces.

I have 30 days to play around with the Helix LT if I want to return it for a full refund. I really don't NEED more gear, but if I can replicate my favorite tone (without the muffle) then I might consider it worth the pricey upgrade after 15 years. If I return it, I could always try a used Line 6 HD500 or HD500X, which is less than half the price of this Helix LT.

Any Helix or Helix LT users here? How do you like your units? What are you comparing them to?

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-26-2017, 07:52 PM.

I've been in a cover band for over two decades and have always needed many sounds and was using the Line 6 Vetta Combo for years, controlling my patches via midi pedal/patch changes. i've owned & tried almost every midi-switching amp out there, H&K Zentera, Marshall JVM410, Engl PowerballII, H&K Grandmeister, Line 6 HD500, and for the past few years a Kemper Powered Profiler. My needs are multiple clean tones, multiple distortion tones, with and without delays/chorus/reverb/flange, a good noisegate and midi switching (I use the old ART X-11pedal). I recently got a Helix Rack (using a ISP Stealth for the power amp into an Engl veritical 2x12 cab), and wow, am I impressed with the Helix. As of now, it has replaced the Kemper as my main rig.

What helped me a lot was purchasing presets and cabinet IRs from Glenn (link below) and fine tuning the ones I liked into my own versions. Check out the youtubes for each preset bundle to hear each preset:
    https://glenndelaune.com/patch%20downloads.htm

There are other guys out there selling presets, Glenn was the first I stumbled on. Supposedly these patches are intended to work best through a DAW or FRFR speaker, but they work well thru my poweramp and 2x12 guitar cab.

I've only had the Helix Rack for around 4 weeks, but I had dialed it in (using the stock presets and Glenns) in only a few days (am using around 25 or so presets so far) and have used it in the last three band practices and really like it a lot.

Comment

I've been really curious about the Helix, tempted to buy one. Would love to hear people's experiences.

Comment

I have been using a Helix Rack system for over a year. All I can say is that I have NEVER been so pleased with a gear purchase. It replaced the Rivera I used for 25 years. In fact, it was so great that I sold 12 tube amps and 9 cabs after using it on a few gigs. I don't know what to say except it is AMAZING.

Here's a little rig rundown I made after some "fans" of the band were asking me about my gear....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ibQgRMOYk4

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I do use the Helix live and for rehearsal.

Here are some clips from rehearsal and live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSxB6bCoEUk&t=34s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGO-GXvGDzs
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Thanks for the clips Mark! Nice tone and playing. Your tone easily stands out in the mix.

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
            What helped me a lot was purchasing presets and cabinet IRs from Glenn (link below) and fine tuning the ones I liked into my own versions. Check out the youtubes for each preset bundle to hear each preset:
            https://glenndelaune.com/patch%20downloads.htm
            Thanks for this! Some of the tones are very impressive. My plan is to get more intimately familiar exploring the Helix on my own first, to see what I can achieve on my own with little guidance... and then later on, perhaps kick it into high gear with some well-made patches and IRs.

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            I've been really curious about the Helix, tempted to buy one. Would love to hear people's experiences.
            It's been a week since I started this topic so I can shed some more light on my initial experiences.

I've mostly been posting my experiences, struggles, and joys on the "Line 6 Helix - Rack - LT - Native User Group ORIGINAL" on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/ but I'll summarize here.

Initially I struggled to understand why the Helix sounded muffled through the effects loop of my Mesa DC-2, and no amount of tweaking made me happy. This was the typical setup of my Boss GT-6 into my DC-2 that I had been enjoying for about 15 years, so I didn't understand why the Helix wasn't blowing away the GT-6.

To counter this, I tried the Helix in front of the amp, and heard extreme clarity, almost TOO clear and harsh, and again no amount of tweaking made me happy. At this point, I was only a few days into Helix ownership, but frustration of endless tweaking nearly made me decide to return the unit to the retailer. This was especially since I was seeing posts on the Facebook group and videos on Youtube where owners were getting usable tones out of the box.

The Facebook group suggested I either try an FRFR amp, or download the software drivers from the Line 6 website and go direct into my computer. I did the latter, where I easily found usable tones without much dialing at all. Finally, after the initial frustrating few days, I was "up and running". It's quite ironic; the Helix interface makes it so easy to adjust your sound, inviting endless tweaking, yet I found that I haven't needed to do much of that now. It's good enough out of the box. I could go deep down the rabbit hole of perpetual adjusting and tone-chasing, but I just really prefer to spend my time playing guitar without much fuss.

These "simple tones" are documented in the two videos I've shared so far:

https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...ing-tone-test)

https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...ecording-demo)

So right now I'm using my Helix direct into my computer via USB, while I have a 1/4" cable running to the effects loop of my amp to serve as a "monitor" until I get a pair of studio monitors.

Disclaimer: I don't perform live. I'm a hobby musician. I mostly jam to backing tracks at home, and now I can record easily so I basically discovered a "new" hobby. Recording with my GT-6 was not as easy due to the lack of USB output and needing to tweak a lot.
            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-30-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Great whitesnake and maiden tones (and I might be biased, but I liked the Helix tones better on the Trooper than the Boss tones on that song), good progress in only one week.

Comment

This is probably my last year for using traditional tube amps live. The new modelers and profilers are just too good sounding to fight it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  This is probably my last year for using traditional tube amps live. The new modelers and profilers are just too good sounding to fight it anymore.
                  John, you loved your Vetta for a long time!! I gotta say I am surprised you didn't grab a Helix right away, lol!!

But, yeah, you're right. It has gotten so good it is almost crazy NOT to use one live. I still have one Rivera rig for nostalgias sake, but I never use it. The Helix can get me the same basic tone in a box that is MUCH easier to transport/set up.
                  GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I sold my AX8 for a Helix LT and couldn't be happier.

Comment

Not going to start a new topic in the MP3 Submissions forum since there is no Jackson/Charvel content in this video, so I'm posting it here in my Helix thread instead.

Read the description in the Youtube video for full details regarding Helix settings and the purpose behind this exercise (concerning low cut/high cut EQ to remove excess low/high end).

Recently bought a pair of used KRK Rokit 5 G2 studio monitors for a very good price (CAD$200 for both, with 1/4"-to-XLR cables and power cables) which helped immensely with monitoring and mixing this clip.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-30-2017, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Cool thread! Interesting stuff guys! And pretty good tones from everyone who posted a video. Thanks for sharing.
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I was noodling around Youtube, and found this guy who has some great tones and live performances with a Helix.

Still Got the Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXPHnJh7R8Y

Little Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INkPdF1JWH4

VH Medley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdkMolra3Kw

Comment

Marco Fanton! He's one of the more well-known in the Helix online community, creates great tones, and is an admin on the Helix Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/line...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Props to him. Dude has chops and tasteful tone. And a great voice, even.

Comment

Working...
                              X