Is a Marshall 1960A a good cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Marshall 1960A a good cab?

I'm about to buy a head and cab. I'm trying to save money, so I'm going to buy a used Splawn QR head, and I planned to buy a Marshall cab. I found a 1960A on my local CL for $300. Is this a good cab that will make the Splawn sound good? Any other recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a very simple attitude toward this type of thing, lol. It's a Marshall. It has been the "rock-n-roll" standard cab for YEARS. I know LOTS of dudes that experiment with other cans and end up coming back to the simplicity of a STOCK Marshall cab. Personally, I messed for years with other cabs - specifically Rivera (my amp brand of choice for almost 28 years) - and came back to using a STOCK Marshall cab with the 75 watt Celestions. Truthfully, it sucked at low volumes, but at STAGE volume it was THE SOUND I needed. GO for it!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

300 is right in the ballpark for what they are running used too, Never heard a splawn, I have a jvm and love it.
      A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

I am impressed how durable they are and they look cool when they get ragged & beat up. My 1960a is an early 90's. Same age as my 5150 cab that has long since fell apart. My first 412 was a new Carvin w/British series. It was nice but came with no casters and it was heavy.

Comment

My one 1960 is from 85, been caster-less for years (so she gets dragged sometimes) and it's never let me down.

If you're going to be gigging make sure you have either a cheap backup head or something else incase anything goes wrong

Comment

Back in 1990 when I was a newb, I bought a used 25/50 cab. I found out later the speakers had been swapped out for cheap Korean's. CHECK THE SPEAKERS!!!

And FWIW, I use a 1960A with 75's with a DSL100 and other heads.

I also like a Marshall 4x10 (1965A/B?) for the punchier attack as well. Sounded awesome with a 2553 Silver Jubilee head back in 1987. Wish I would have bought that half stack back then.
            Last edited by DonP; 11-23-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I have an Egnater Vengeance. Played through a Marshall 1960A. Have for years.
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Back in 1990 when I was a newb, I bought a used 25/50 cab. I found out later the speakers had been swapped out for cheap Korean's. CHECK THE SPEAKERS!!!
                Solid advice there! Always check the speakers.

Comment

Yeah, I know it's mandatory to check the speakers. I was just wondering if your standard stock 1960A cab is a quality cab that would allow the head to sound like it should. I don't want to get a crappy cab. I asked about the 1960A because they're selling used in my price range.

Comment

The 1960A is a quality cab. No worries there.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

A 1960 cab and g12m25 speakers is the cab that made rock and roll.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                        A 1960 cab and g12m25 speakers is the cab that made rock and roll.
                        A lot of hard rock and early heavy metal too.

1960a is pretty much legendary. Obviously, as has been already mentioned, check the speakers.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentX View Post
                          I was just wondering if your standard stock 1960A cab is a quality cab that would allow the head to sound like it should. I don't want to get a crappy cab.
                          Your serious???

I think the older ones might have been better quality. I'm not sure - not an expert on the history. My current one is from 1998. I think I read the backs were changed from plywood to OSB or similar in the newer ones?

Comment

I'm sure there are good and bad years for the 1960a. Mine was purchased paired with a JCM 900. The back is now half torn off and everyone can clearly see it is particle board. Inside it is plywood. If you are looking for all wood construction you may need to research the cabs & materials and shop around.

Comment

I bought a barely used 1960A around 10 years ago. The speakers(Chinese G12T-75`s) didn`t sound all that great until I put some hours on it and turned it up loud. I love the sound now.

Comment

Working...
                              X