additional hush unit? help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• additional hush unit? help!

got my rig upgraded and the volumeproblems are history now. my rig contains the following:

marshall JMP-1 preamp
    rocktron replifex effectsunit
    peavey pro-q 215 graphic eq
    bbe 482 sonic maximiser
    peavey classic 50/50 poweramp

the sound is good, but there's this little buzz problem... I got the hush as tight as I can but there's still some buzz coming through.

Can I solve this by adding an additional hush unit? and if so, what effect does it have on the sound (sustainwise etc.)?

thnx

Peter

[ January 21, 2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Svart ]

Re: additional hush unit? help!

So you are now using the Hush that must be in the Replifex?

What is the chain of effects? Just like what you listed already?

Really, the Marshall isn't that noisy of a preamp. It shouldn't be causing a "lot" of noise.

Once the Hush clamps down, nothing should get past it to make a hum, and it must be being generated after it.

Possibly the two units after the Hush are adding the noise. The peavey being number one suspect and the BBEs aren't dead quiet either.

Check that by pulling those two pieces out of the chain, and go JMP>Replifex>Power amp. And see if the hum goes away...

Hush units are often tone sucking and really will tap the natural bounce and sustain if used drastically to combat noise.

This is a demon I constantly battle.

I will say that the Hush that is BUILT into the Rocktron units are the best sounding hushes out there. VERY quiet and work the best.

I have several stand alone Hushes and they actually INTRODUCE noise when I'm playing. They're quiet when clamped down. But, when I play, I can hear noise in the signal that they introduce. They are a noisy circuit actually.

I'm looking at other brands actually. But, if you must run an outboard hush in order to use the EQ and BBE, use it right before the power amp, and turn off the one in the Replifex. Using several hushes gets weird and really deadens your sound a lot... I would try my best not to do that as like I said before, the Hush built in to the rocktron is their best sounding one.

If you are just using the replifex for effects, use it as the last in the chain before the power amp.

Hope this helps... I deal with this all the time... After having several Hush units, I'm back to using JUST the one in the Roctron Intellifex and that is the last thing before the power amp. Seems to work the best that way...

Comment

I got the replifex directly after the marshall. so I should place the replifex as the last in the chain, right before the poweramp?

will that alter much in my sound?

Comment

To rephrase my post simpler. "Basically" the Hush will work best, last in line before power amp... Because there is NOTHING else to add noise at that point in the chain.

But sadly, if I were using the BBE and EQ, I'd sorta want them for their best usage where you have them now. Sucks huh?

Like I said, not bypass, but eliminate the PEAVEY and BBE from the chain, and see if the noise goes away...

Try JMP>Replifex>Power amp and nothing else. See if it's still noisy.

If it's quiet, try the BBE and see if that ads noise.. The BBEs aren't dead silent, but aren't horrible either. That unit really should not be too bad.

Then add the Peavey. THAT is my suspect for the noise...

I would really CLOSELY look at cables too... If you have some crap cables, you'll get hum... Make sure you have good pro cables.

Make your decision from there...

Comment

thnx dude

I'll check it out, and as a matter of fact, there are one or two selfmade cables in the back... but with the pro G.A.P. everything was silent.

I'll do what you've suggested lateron today. Thnx dude... once again [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

tried taking both out of the chain, the peavey and the bbe. still the humming was there. sound like a band ground somewhere, that kind of humming. It starts as soon as I turn on the volume on my guitar, closed it's silent. Maybe it's my guitar? didn't have the problem with the other preamp and fxunit though...

edit: could it be a bad tube in the preamp?

[ January 21, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Svart ]

Comment

K, I found the thread again! Prolly didn't see it as you never said you found the trouble! I did read the last post already...

So what was up? The Replifex was doing something?

Comment

yup, the humming came from the replifex, so I'll gotta get used to it I guess... for the rest it's a great unit [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thnx dude, you saved my again [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X