odd sound out of mesa rect o verb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd sound out of mesa rect o verb

When I hit the strings on my guitar pretty hard I hear this odd rattling that sounds like its coming out of the tubes of my rect o verb combo. It sounds like something is rattling in the tube. I dont know what it is but it really gets on my nerves. Anyone got any ideas?

Re: odd sound out of mesa rect o verb

I had a similar problem with my Rectoverb after it got beat up during shipping. Turned out to be a damaged 6L6 tube. Make sure all your tubes are in the sockets tight, and then borrow some loaner tubes from a friend and start replacing them until you find the bad one.

Comment

Is it a rattle like bits of metal in a metal box, by any chance?

Have someone else stand by the amp (who has heard the rattle) and you go in another room and hit the strings as hard as you would to get that rattle. It could be your guitar (trem springs, bridge saddles if it's a tunamagic or Fender trem).

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have had that to with my dual rectifier 3 channel head. Once it was bad tube. If you are running effects through the effects loop and it is overloading the circuits it could be that possibly. I would try pushing the tubes down first and running the head through a cabinet and nothing but your guitar.. i.e. unhook any other cables or effects or whatever. Just the guitar into the head. Turn up the gain very high and leave the volume down almost all the way so you can barely hear the guitar coming through the speakers. If the noise persists than it is most likely a tube. Check to see if the power tubes all look the same... is one burning hotter or flaring? If so, That is the one that is giving you problems. Try switching them around in pairs as well... Swap the two outside ones with the two inside ones. my 2 cents...hope it helps

Comment

Thanks folks. I dont run any effects I go straight into the amp. Im pretty sure its something rattling in the tubes. It sounds like when lightbulbs go out you can shake them and hear something rattling. But since its part of my amp you can hear it more. My rect o verb is a combo and sometimes it does some odd stuff. Im thinking of trading it in and getting a single rectifier. Would a single rectifier head be better than a rect o verb combo? I got a genz benz 2x12 cab so I got speakers. Fill me in folks and thanks for the help Ill start messing around with the tubes. I hope I dont have to replace them cuz Im kind of strapped for cash right now.

Comment

Working...
          X