Question for the amp biasing gurus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for the amp biasing gurus.

I respect LV as a straight shooter, but I don't see how having a tech properly bias your amp is a bad thing. It might be a bad thing for HIM, since he does sell tubes set up to mesa's specs... but in general, I don't see how having your amp's bias checked either by yourself if you know what you're doing or a GOOD tech is a bad thing.

That's like saying it's a bad idea to check the oil in your car every time you get gas.

Regarding rigs I've had - VHT, about 9 or so Mesas(Mark III, .50 EL84, DC5, DC3, 2 studio .22+s, Early dual rectifier with reverse chassis, Studio preamp with 50/50 poweramp, Mesa Quad preamp. Marshalls from an early 70s plexi to a JMP II to a JCM800 channel switcher to a mosfet (gag) to a JCM 900 dual reverb to a Valvestate (which wasn't bad at all.) Also had a Rivera, Kitty Hawk Quattro, Blackface, Silverface and tweed Fenders, Soldano SP77, ADA MP1 rig (we all had em in the 80s, hehe) Peavey 5150 Block letter head, Sansamp PSA1, Peavey VTM120 head (rocked), Peavey Heritage VTX, Crate solid state POS head, 60s silverton amp and cab, 50s gretsch amp, etc. I'm probably forgetting a lot... I go through amps a lot, because I like em! I'll play through an amp for awhile, check it out, and then move it on down the line to check something else out.

All I have now is a mesa single recto solo head, THD Univalve, Fender SF Champ, a head I built from scratch based loosely on a tweed champ but with abilities to use a KT88, 6L6, 6V6 or EL34 power tube, a one watt tube amp I just bought today (when it comes in, I'll do sound clips... I think this little thing is going to kick a lot of butt), and a half watt amp I'm building as soon as the parts come in - major holdup are the transformers, which are Mercury Magnetics.

Didn't mean to go off on you guys, but mesa and their tubes are a sore spot with me.

Pete

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

In all the years of replacing tubes in my old JCM 800 the worst set of tubes I every had(reliability wise) was Boogie tubes. Made it 90 days and that was it. I wasn't even playing more than at the most an hour a day. I would never replace with them.

They make industructible amp products but for years and years they claimed there tubes are the best. Boogie tubes and GT are scumbags that rippoff the consumer selling exactly the same product you buy anywhere else for 10 to 20 bucks more a tube. Then they have this bull**** your amp warranty is void if you use anything else. Good marketing, a but total rip-off of the people that buy there products. What, it's not good enough to buy an amp from them? The want you to keep coming back so they can clip you for a few extra bucks.

Then there is their price fixing BS, I have no idea how its legal. Everybody else gets pulled into court for it, yet they have been doing it for years. Not that their products are a bad value. I just hate the little we have to charge this or we lose there right to sell them. I have no idea how they stay out of court. I guess that since they have a good selling product, and the ones (music stores) that are making a profit from it would be the plantiffs.

I like like my Recto head for what I paud(used). I just think there business practices suck.

[ January 28, 2003, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

Posted by Dreamland_Rebel
          i just didn't want the guy messing up something by trying to bias his own head
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for considering my amps welfare, but I asked for a reason. Seriously, thanks, but I'm a fully capable human being and was asking for a response from some of the guys here who do bias their own amps. It's not black magic voodoo.
          DON'T ADJUST ANYTHING!!!!! have a professional tech bias your tube sockets for new tubes only!!!!
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why should I pay someone to do something that I'm capable of doing given the right resources. Some of these "Professionals" love to tell you that you are not capable of doing this because they are highly trained (Especially the only Marshall repair guy town.). I think if most people knew what they were capable of doing, most of these "professionals" would be out of business. Again, please don't take me wrong, I really do appreciate your input, but please give people some credit.

BTW Oklastrat, you have mail.

Thank you for the responses everyone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Mail recieved and replied to. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

pete,
              like i said his words not mine, he pretty much went off on me for asking him to do it. then in the same conversation he offers me his $120/pr tubes. basically turned me off to the guy. i'd prefer to do it myself anyway, have heard/read from many people it's a good idea, just lacking knowledge of the procedure.

[ January 28, 2003, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: buzzsaww ]
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Thanks Pete. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with ya Hotrod, I got tired of paying a tech 30-40 bucks to bias my Marshall everytime I did a tube change.. so I decided I wanted to read up on it myself.. Dan Torres has a book he put out back in like '95 called "Inside Tube amps", but still great to learn on doing it yourself..
                  Sorry if it's more advice ya don't need or want. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

Dan Torres has a book he put out back in like '95 called "Inside Tube amps"
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Was it pretty informative? I've heard mostly good things about Dan Torres and have poked around on his site and am thinking about checking into some of his books.

Comment

It's a great book for beginners-intermediates with some basic knowledge on tube amps who want to improve their understanding of being able to service their amp. They show up on ebay sometimes as well, you could try half.com too. Torres outlines the book on his site but it's like 44.00. http://torresengineering.stores.yaho...resengineering
                      There was one on Ebay not long ago that went for 33.00 + shipping. #2905654306

There are some URL links on that ebay ad as well... appearantly you can get it from Brazil for 33.00 new?
                      Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X