No announcement yet.

Diezel heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned a Herbet and it was a monster of an amp, but I felt it lacked some of the raw aggressiveness I need, so I found it in the Powerball and the E570 preamp

so I've got two rigs that are really raw but tight and defined at the same time, now I would LOVE to buy a herbert again, and probably will, but for my application it was a little cold

and yes I had it retubed and rebiased twice with different combos, in the end, the powerball is where I'm at!

the Diezel was MUCH louder though~

180 watts! hahaha crikey!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn View Post
      Have owned both, currently have the Herbert.

They are so different its not even the same universe....

+1
      Same goes for every other amps they model. While the vetta tones can be good in and of themselves, when placed side-by-side with their namesakes, they just don't compare (at least in my experience).

I bought a powerball version 2 on ebay. Before I got it in the mail, I got to play a herbert and I think it just ruined the powerball for me. After about 3 weeks, I traded the powerball for a Vetta + cash. I only ever played the diezel models on the vetta - but it just wasn't the same. I ended up selling the vetta to help finance the Diezel purchase.

There is a big difference between the VH4 and the Herbert. I'd say go Herbert if you are more of a metal player.

Comment

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
        We did all 6L6s for that one. I didn't know you could mix and match tubes though, that's pretty sweet. In retrospect, soulless was the wrong way to describe it. It just reminded me of german cars - in theory extremely well engineered but it lacked some kind of passion. Just didn't float my boat, I guess.
        so you haven't driven a BMW M3 either huh? I guess we don't agree on a lot of things

just busting your balls dude...cheers!

Comment

Do a search on Vetta in the Amps section on this board. You'll find long discussions of the Vettas. It takes a bit to dial in the sound.

Comment

I am a huge Vetta fan. It is an endless array of awesome tones, and when you have it hooked up to midi through your computer, it is the ultimate kanoodler.

That being said.......
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
              My favorite model on the Vettas is the Diezel VH4 "lead." Sounds better, to my ear, than Deity's Son (the Herbert model). I'm wondering if anyone knows how well the Vettas approximate the difference in Diezel amps. In other words, I'm very interested in the Herbert and the VH4, but based on the models, I like the VH4 better. Obviously I'm going to try them out before I buy, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with both a Vetta and the Diezels.
              I own a Herbert and have played the VH4 numerous times... I agree that the Vetta model of the VH4 sounds better... but neither Vetta model sounds anything like either amp live and in person. Plug into a Herbert and prepare to be crushed.

As for the price, Diezels are not cheap... but I also own a few other amps that cost more. Price is relative. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz View Post
                I own a Herbert and have played the VH4 numerous times... I agree that the Vetta model of the VH4 sounds better... but neither Vetta model sounds anything like either amp live and in person. Plug into a Herbert and prepare to be crushed.

As for the price, Diezels are not cheap... but I also own a few other amps that cost more. Price is relative. You get what you pay for.

Hey, thanks. That's just what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                X