OD pedals and valve amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD pedals and valve amps.

I have a JCM 900 4102 and can get all the classic rock tones I want out of it perfectly but I'm looking for something to give it a bit stronger distorsion. I do play a good bit of rock but my main music style is old metal. Is an OD pedal the solution to my problem? If so which one is best? At the moment my eye is on either a Boss SD-1 or a Ibanez TS7 (because they are cheap). Is there any guides for the settings on the pedals or is it just plug it in and mess around?

Thanks.

Re: OD pedals and valve amps.

I use a Boss SD-1 into an AVT and it really steps up the lead tone, even on a relatively crappy amp like that. It cranks the sustain and thickens up my leads. In fact, i wouldn't even play leads without it. I think Zakk Wylde, Reb Beach, Warren Dimartini, and Jason Becker each used the SD-1 at some point....and it's real inexpensive, so you can't really go wrong.

BTW, my setting are:
    Volume:Up all the way
    Drive: A little past 9:00
    Tone: 11:00ish

[ January 28, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: IRM ]

Comment

Jason was also using a Boss Distortion some time or another as well.

Comment

I used to use a pair of Marshal 4100s and I found that they enjoyed my crappy old Nady 201 wireless being cranked into the front end. I would possibly recommend an EMG PA-2 preamp if you can get you hands on one it would give a nice edgey crunch to the signal.

I also used a BBE422a and an 31 band EQ in the effects loop. With all that, I was was fairly happy with the sound. It wasn't a current metal sound. But, was a great crunchy 80s 90s metal sound. I sorta miss that rig... Umm sorta... It didn't have enough bass for me.

Although I love a ts-9 or a SD1 into a 800, I tried the TS-9 into it and wasn't too happy.

Comment

I just got the boss od3 and it works great.It will really give your amp a kick in the ass.

Comment

I use a DS-1 into my Marshall, and it works great. Adds alot of sustain! Of course, I turn the drive all the way down and the level up around 12 o'clock.

Comment

for years I used a Multivox 201-301 tape echo to drive my Marshalls, it was essential to my sound... has a switchable eq..I used to run it on Mid setting, zero DB mute and crank the volume up to about 7.. just so it would occasionally peg the meter. Thats something that alot of guys dont want to try as the units are now pretty pricey. Nowadays I run a Vox valve tone ?-801.. uses a 12ax7 or whatever you want.. Jan 7025, Ecc82...etc. If you want to try something different.. a Boss PQ-4 parametric EQ to drive it, depends on how much more edge you want. Hughes Kettner tube factor is a good bet as well.. but pricey, you get what you pay for.. some guys are just happy with a Boss DS-1 in front of a clean amp... works for a lot of guys.

[ January 29, 2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

I use my DS-1 with the "lead" channel on my Marshall (It's a DSL and has 2 1/2 channels). I always try and find that elusive balance of gain, clarity, sustain, and maintaining the tube character of the amp. I keep the overdrive channel's gain at around 5 or so, depending on my mood. I've tried the pedal with the clean channel and it sounds like ass... too "transistory" sounding for me.

Comment

I tried a bunch of Boss overdrives and distortions. I think I went back to the store about 6 times. Finally I just spent the extra cash for a Tube screamer-the TS9. It was the only one that didn't make my tube amp sound like solid state distortion.

I set the gain on it to about 1:oo and it somoles with my gain channel. I also use it with the clean channel and it it gives me a great AC\DC type sound.

I don't know for sure , but I have heard that the TS-7 doesn't sound half as good. Plus I think they may be plastic.
                  Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
                  X