CRATE GX65 needs 4X12 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRATE GX65 needs 4X12 cab

I have yet to try it out, but I would like to buy a mid range priced 4X12 cab to plug my CRATE GX65 into. Why CRATE some may ask? Well, I have owned Marshall, Randall, Peavey, Rolland and GK amps. I always end up with a CRATE. They just do it for me and alot of other people are somewhat amazed at the tone I acheive with this 65 watt combo. I can get alot of different tones out of it and thats what counts. It just works for me. I play with distortion 90% of the time so CRATE is great at that, the clean sound needs a little help, but I have effects I can use for that. Acoustic guitars with elctronics sound great through it. I want to beef up the bottom end thump in live applications. Will a 4X12 do it for me? What 4X12's would yall recomend?

Re: CRATE GX65 needs 4X12 cab

American Musical Supply has the Behringer BG412S for $300.00, shipped. I think a couple of guys on here were looking at getting them, but haven't seen any posts, yet.

Comment

man, you should try the fender rock pro head. for 400 or less its great. and the clean chanel is good too. i used to have a crate g130 2x12 combo. got me through a lot of gigs till i got my M/B MkIII. i was never happy with my crate live untill i turned the shape/contour all the way down. it was just too noisy with 2 guitars and bass. you had to keep turning up cause there was just too much white noise and not enough tone. once i turned the shape/contour down it sounded much more raw and harsh, which i didn't like by itself. but with the band it cut through perfectly and sounded great. its amazing the difference a sound makes when combined with other sounds i e the rest of the band. most people play by them selves and only adjust their sound so that it sounds good by itself, and that dosn't work with a group. when you make you amp sound like metallica does on thier records, it sounds bad when turned up with a full band, and you'll never here your bassist. but by itself sounds great.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If I were you, I'd plug that amp into as many 4x12s as I could find *locally* - shipping is going to be a ***** on a 4x12 cab. some decent values in cabs:

Peavey, especially the old VTM cabs. I have one, 75watt celestions, built VERY solid. Even the newer peavey cabs are a good value.

marshall - used, can't beat a marshall for value used. I wouldn't buy a new one, however.

I had a crate 4x12, it had the crappiest speakers in the world in it. The magnets were about the size of a mason jar lid. wasn't very solidly built either. Avoid these unless you play through one and really dig it.

BTW, I personally wouldn't use a fender roc pro head to keep my car from rolling down a steep driveway, but it just goes to show that you have to get what is right for you. Don't take anyone's cab recommendations (or amp for that matter) as gospel - make up your own mind based on your experience with the gear.

Pete

Comment

its your ears man, he's right about that. i personanly don't like the crate or peavey (except for the 5150) cabs. they rattle to much, not very solid. marshall's are great though, i'd check out the classified section of anything and see what kind of deals are out there in your price range. i'm personnly looking for a 2x12 recto cab with vintage 30's (tired of hauling a 4x12 to all our gigs). but i can't find one cheaper than 380. when you try out one, turn it up real loud and listen for noise other that the guitar like rattling and whatnot. a good solid cab can make most amps sound worlds better.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I use an old peavey 4 x 12 and I loaded it with reverend all tone 1250's Best sounding cabinet I own. I have a crate 4 x12 (2 of them) and a marshall 4 x 12 too. The peavey cabinet sounds the best and is the sturdiest (and heaviest too [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) of them all. I would follow Pete's advice and look for one locally as well as plug into them and make your own decisions too.

Comment

Yeah man I'm one for Marshall cabs, specially the vintage series cabs, more expensive but they sound excellent. The 1960av/bv cabs that is.

Comment

I bought one of the Hughes Kettner 400watt cabs from GC used for 250.00 a couple years ago. I think it's one of the Attax models, but it's a birch ply cab! w/ 70w celestions! Everbody overlooked it, so the salesperson let it go for a decent price.. I even put it on a layaway as I didn't have the cash upfront. It sounds very nice.

You can get some old seymour duncan cabs, and I even have seen old Mesa cabs go for 250.00 loaded with celestions.

I agree with shipping, if your getting a 4x12 shipped, it may come damaged as UPS does not like those big ass boxes. Unless it has double cardboard and molded styrofoam reinforcing the corners (like all computer/audio is shipped nowdays) I'd be leery. I had a Laney cab come with the EVL12's falling into the grill.. problem was the dolt who mounted the EV's only mounted them with the 4 standard speaker screws... those heavy magnets ripped the baffle board to pieces.

Comment

There's a Peavey Butcher straight 412 with 80w Celestions on Ebay with a BIN of
                  $199 and $50-$60 shipping. It's in Salt Lake City, only 2 states up from New Mexico, so freight should be on the low end of the quote. The Butcher was the series before the VTM, which Pete recommended. I'd jump on it myself but I
                  don't need a 412 cab.

The item # is 2505681133 (Sorry, don't know how to link it) :-/

Rich
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, shipping a 4x12 is $60-$75 and you still don't know what you bought 'til you get it. I'd shop locally, and don't overlook the pawn shops. You can make a great deal there because they pay even less on amps and cabs than on guitars.
                    Ignore their price tag and hit 'em with a
                    lowball offer to start the haggling.

And yeah, a Roc Pro head would suck at keeping your car from rolling down the driveway - too light! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I haven't heard any good OR bad things about the Behringer cabs, so I'd think bad. Someone would be raving about 'em
                    if they liked 'em at all, for that price.
                    People recommend Avatar cabs, but they're
                    only 13" deep, so I wonder if they could
                    deliver a tight low end? I dunno.....
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah check out used cabs at some local music stores. I scored two used 4-12 cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's at GC. $560 for both. Many great buys out there.

Ric

Comment

you should try a good 4x12 cabinet with celestions in it and a 2x15 under it that will give ya plenty

Comment

I've got one of the full size Crate 4x12 cabs and I love it. It's got better bottom end than a Marshall cab and the Eminance speakers have the crunch of Celestions without the price. And they're usually about 200 bucks used. you can always put V30's in it if a want later.
                          Gil

Comment

Working...
                          X