X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your "secret weapon"?

Hi guys -

Just wanted to find out two things:

What's your main amp(s) for the bulk of your sound and what is your "secret weapon" - the item of gear, along with your amp, that makes you sound unique and different from what's already out there.

This topic is NOT about technique or playing - just an item of gear that might make you stand out from the crowd.

Jer
    [email protected]
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: What\'s your "secret weapon"?

I got an EMG EXG 'hidden' in the back of my KE-3 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Now that i think of it, I guess I don't have one...

Just a cool preamp and power amp CAE3+se and VHT2150, That's quite a bit right there, not too secret though. haha...

I do use the EMG PA-2 to get a little edge though... That's about it... Pretty unimpressive really..

Comment

Yeah, no secrets here, either. Just a Duncan Custom in GMP guitars running a Soldano SLO through Marshall 4x12s with G65s.

I recon those 65s are key to my sound.

Comment

My amp: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rad King
          My guitars: Jacksons with EMGs
          My picks: Dunlop 1mm Derlin w/ Division logo
          My strings: D'Addario .010s

My secret weapon: A fruit tray. After all that ruffage people will agree with anything just to get out of the room! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

My secret weapon is definitely my ART Xtreme distortion/multi-effect pedal, although Duncan Full Shred pickups certainly contribute to my sound a lot. I also have Boss DD-2 and DD-3 digital delay pedals for solos. Most of my amps are Peaveys, but I used a Jackson tube combo and Peavey cab for recording recently.
            sigpic

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ Matt, hahaha...

you and Bill would get along!

Comment

amp: Rivera M-100
                secret weapon: 300 watt JBL G-12 speakers
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

the mike in my pants adding my flatullence to the mix.
                  "wafting... wafting... ahh yeah, everyone likes their own brand you know!!"
                  1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

if I told ya, I'd have to kill ya now wouldn't I? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .. but seriously, I find something that varies from amp setup to amp setup.. like I said in my earlier posts, I used a Multivox tape echo as a preamp boost for years on my Marshalls much like Blackmore used to use a modified tape recorder for that "edge" in his setup, he couldn't play w/o it (hey, it also worked for Les Paul). I also used a MXR 6 band with the mids boosted in front of it on a Musicman HD65R for awile in conjunction with a really old potted Dimarzio SD...I had alot of power, mid AHH and clearity all at the same time.

[ January 29, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

easy...
                      Mesa MkIV & Dual Rack with metal grill cabs
                      TC G-Force and Chorus/Flanger
                      EMGs and Duncans

The metal grill cabs sound much better than with recto cabs

For some reason (that I dont care to find out) my LP Classic just sings thru the MkIV something magical.

Comment

I don't know what it is, but it's handbuilt by a Canadian guy who put it into a Traynor PA head. It's a 38 watt "sleeper."

The company name is DSR Amplification, and I bought one of his protos from him. I mentioned this in another thread, but he's supposedly got four of his "production models" on tour with Kitty. I don't know if you guys know who Kitty is, or if you think they're good, but I pretty confident that their heavy sound is coming right out of the amp - very doubtful that they have any external pre-amps or pedals (except for modulation or delays etc.)

If you saw it, you would never believe it. Once you heard it, you would worship it. No kidding - but I would like to hear someone who knows what they're doing play through it..........

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk Slossar:
                          I don't know if you guys know who Kitty is, or if you think they're good, but I pretty confident that their heavy sound is coming right out of the amp - very doubtful that they have any external pre-amps or pedals (except for modulation or delays etc.)
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kitty has a pretty good sound, hear them on the radio a lot here
                          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Re: What\'s your &quot;secret weapon&quot;?

My secret weapon?? Definately my Flux Capacitor, yeah that's definately it.

Comment

Re: What\'s your &quot;secret weapon&quot;?

Originally posted by jem777az:
                              My secret weapon?? Definately my Flux Capacitor, yeah that's definately it.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Flux Capacitor [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X