What's your "secret weapon"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What\'s your "secret weapon"?

Mine is my pickups - Dimarzio SD at the bridge and a virtual 2 at the neck. Lots of switching between the two. I junked all my Duncans since I found this combo. Still love the JB though. Nothing major - but that's what gets me off.

Comment

left hand and right hand, any of my guitars with various Duncans and DiMarzios. I can get decent tone out of a practice amp, J-station or my Marshall JCM 800 2203. its the hands and technique but I don't want to start that debate again.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

"you don't remember, I'll never forget" da, da, dah, dant. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Cleveland -

Yngwie's first album and Alcatrazz stuff - agreed, it IS cool, but you gotta remember bro - we're guitar players! Most, if not all, of his songs to your average metal/rock fan are not resonant whatsoever.

That was my only point - and it was made to get us back to the real point of this thread.

God, and I thought I was going to get flamed for this. It's actually nice to see that JCFer's KNOW that Yngwie doesn't have any songs that your average Joe would cite as good songs, while not disputing the fact that he's possibly the most technically proficient guitarist alive.

Good to talk to you John...

Jer
          [email protected]

Comment

Yeah, you're right, the average person would glaze over after the first couple minutes of meedley meees... Metal heads are more open to it at least.

There are certainly a lot of people at his shows that aren't musicians, strangely enough. When he was popular, that was even more true... Now the musician ratio is tremendously higher as the average people don't get exposed to him really.

But, he's only pulling 700 people to shows here now... And bands with decent writing like say Iced Earth etc.. are pulling a fair amount more.

Yngwie was more than done with any creativity by the third rising force release. Still a monster, but boring.

Good to talk to you too! Stop by my board sometime. Come rag on Vince!! haha...

[ February 01, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Yup I agree on the Yngwie stuff. He's a great guitar player but he needs a hit or something that the general public would recognise. And yes even though I too am a Viking. (1/2 swedish)
              Viking is a cool song but the lyrics are pretty lame.
              Anyway to the topic. My amp is my secret weapon. Its a Scholz Research and development
              Rockman Xp100. 100 watt stereo combo. The main pedals I use to sculpt the distortion tone and make my tone unique is a Metal Zone and a PQ4 parametric EQ pedal. Along with the quadraverb.
              Ok so its some dated gear but if it aint broke dont fix it.
              Gil

Comment

Ok,.. my last Yngwie post.

I 100% agree..Alcatrazz No Parole, Rising Force, great stuff..Marching out.. hey Jeff Scott Soto! this was also a great disc, altho Yngwies production left something to be desired at times.
                By the third.. yep, it's still good.. but this is pretty much the same warmed over. I remember looking at Eclipse when it came out and almost buying it, then going no...I don't need to spend money on more of the same. Yngwie knows his songwriting has taken a jab and a punch many times for marketability. I also think Heaven Tonight was a pretty catchy song for Yngwie.. and there might be one or two more but I forget them at the moment, which goes to prove the point. Granted, no Journey,REO or Styx, but you could find something to rip on them as well. BTW, those Scholz amps are very cool.. used to see em on eBay every once in awile for about 500.00

[ February 01, 2003, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Yngwie has scads of talent and couldn't write a memorable SONG to save his life.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sigh.... The whole first album is pretty stellar... After that, fluff... Viking is musically cool , stupid lyrics etc...

Tons of memorable stuff on the first CD though...

Comment

Re: What\'s your &quot;secret weapon&quot;?

I don't have any gear that makes my sound all that unique...but if I must pick, it'd have to be my Wolfgang Special. Either that, or the Ebow, but I almost never use that.

Comment

Hey Cleveland -

Why do you allow Vince on your board?? The guy's a hack at best and a thief at worst.

Even I was decieved, but now I know better. I might drop by the board anyway, as long as it doesn't turn into a Vince pissing match.

Now that you've got the pro Q, give us some killer clips of your rig without tuning down further than a 1/2 step.

Later,

Jaron
                      [email protected]

Comment

Well, I have to say, Vince certainly does know some interesting things about equipment that many people don't. I've been around high end stuff for a long time and realize he's knowledgeable in many areas. But, like anyone, there's also things he doesn't know.

I know what I believe and what I don't and the stuff I don't believe doesn't really mean much to me as far as our interaction. He's been nothing but a helpful friend for the most part to me.

I'll also say that I've done a couple grand of biz with him with good results. So I feel ok with sending biz his way too.

Hey, everyone has their undesirable idiosynchrasies (some worse than others) and unless someone is a troublemaker on my board, they can be there till they change my opinion about them.

Comment

Hmm, I only tune to D though!!

I'll get ya some clips of that at least...

Maybe I'll break out the SG and tune up though... I haven't played in A for years...

Comment

My secret weapon....hmmmm

That little voice in my head that keeps screaming "YOU SUCK!!"....

...That voice kinda sounds like John's [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well quit sucking so much, farging corksucker...

Comment

my secret weapon is how I have my amp pointing at my bed...absorbing adn "thickening" the sound...until it reverberates throughout my dorm room and causes the neighbor girl to pound on the wall...or call the front desk to have me "written up"

i bet none of you guys can acutally make the wall get knocked on.

Comment

Working...
                                X