prolly stupid question about a tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prolly stupid question about a tuner

bought me a sabine racktuner today, secondhand without manual. what is the correct way to get it in the chain? or should I leave it out of the chain?

thnx

Peter

Re: prolly stupid question about a tuner

I "personally" take the easy way and send one channel of my Intellifex to my Korg Rack tuner... That would be a way to run it if you are running just a head and an effects unit like that in the loop.

When I ran stereo rack preamp, it was just two mono outputs from the preamp, and the intellifex is what made it stereo. So I'd just send one mono channel of my preamp to the tuner and send the other to the Intellifex to be made stereo etc.

What is your rig setup? That would help with ideas...

A y-cable would no be good, and running your signal through the tuner and then back into the rig is bad too. Introduces noise usually or sucks tone.

You sorta want an isolated output from something... Tuners are NOTORIOUS digital noise inducing things...

Comment

My Korg tuner isn't in the signal chain at all. I just pull the cord out of the head and stick it in the tuner, tune, and plug it back into the amp.

Live, if the guitar is further out of tune than I can quickly touch up by ear, I change guitars.

Comment

my rig:

* marshall JMP-1
        * rocktron Replifex (that's what's caused the humming after all (see othere thread))
        * peavey pro-q215 graphic EQ
        * BBE 482 sonic maximiser
        * peavey classic 50/50 poweramp

maybe can I get a preset from the marshall and set that one with the tuner in the fxloop?

Comment

Do you use the effects loop in the JMP-1 at all now?

If you do, that would be a problem. And you couldn't send one channel out of the JMP-1 (like I said earlier) to the tuner as you'd lose whatever stereo effect that was in the loop. It's a stereo loop and you need the signal to STAY stereo at that point.

If not, then that would probably work just fine, Umm I think. You should be able to set a preset that is full loop send with no straight mix, and also set it it to be silent I think....

I play live a lot, and NEED to have the tuner EASILY (meaning no unplugging nothing) available between songs. Nothing worse than the crowd hearing someone adjusting tunings between songs.

Edit+++++++++++++++++++++++++!!!

HEY, brain storm here... TRY sending a recording or speaker umulated (or whatever that output is called, haha) out of the Marshal to the tuner!!! VERY SIMPLE! And always on...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

I'd like the silent preset being available for shows though nonetheless... BUT, sometimes, you WANT to hear it when your tuning...

Sorry I missed the end of the other thread with your humming, I'm sorry if I left you hanging... It's so dammed easy to lose track of stuff on this (^&%$(^ new forum...

I hope I was of some help..

[ January 29, 2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

np there dude, didn't have the feeling of being left hanging there [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

actually, you've been an enourmous help and like you said there, got to get used to the humming [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

now the tuner, it's got an instrument input in front and two outputs(?): instrument and amplifier. guess I'll have to find a manual after all since ractuners are new areas for me to explore...

thnx dude's! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a $300 dollar tuner and the amp output on it is crap, definitely noisey and tone sucking. I'd try the recording or compensated output on the Marshall JMP-1 before anything. That would be what I would use first...

Cool, you can also ask these types of questions on my board too (link below), there are tech people people that don't come here, haha... I'd rather have them there, as they will last a long time on that board. here they dissapear to quick...

Comment

I've put the tuner in the fxloop and so far it works ok, but a few questions remain here...:

- it needs gain and volume of the preamp to find chords, under a certain level of gain it won't find a straw in a haystack so to say... is this normal?

- if I set the fx mix to 6/12 it enhances the volume somehow. before or beyond that level it's more quiet... seems kinda weird to me...

- I used a splitter to ge a left & right return (the jmp-1 has only 1 send), bad thing or won't it effect the outcome at all?

- It actually seems to silence the humming a bit when I set the fx level to 6...
                --------------------------------------------------
                edit: my little tuningdevice seems to work a lot faster... aren't rackunits the quicker ones?
                I'm new in the world of racktuners, so all reactions are equally new (as in I don't know what it's supposed to do except tune your guitar [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

[ January 30, 2003, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Svart ]

Comment

Agian, I would recommend using the compensated output on the Marshall preamp to drive the tuner... I'm thinking that would work the best and the tuner would always be active, yet not effect the audible sound at all.

To answer your questions...

- it needs gain and volume of the preamp to find chords, under a certain level of gain it won't find a straw in a haystack so to say... is this normal?

A)Yes, they do need a certain amount of signal volume to operate and they work best on a clean signal with no distortion.

- if I set the fx mix to 6/12 it enhances the volume somehow. before or beyond that level it's more quiet... seems kinda weird to me...

A) Normal, at that mid point, you are hearing signal from both paths inside the preamp combined, hence a stronger/louder signal. It's just how that preamp is. I had one myself, it did the same thing, it's normal.

- I used a splitter to ge a left & right return (the jmp-1 has only 1 send), bad thing or won't it effect the outcome at all?

A) Yes, it actually "might" affect the signal... But, prolly not "too" badly". Are you using that setting to play through, or just to tune through. If you're just tuning, I wouldn't worry at all. If you are playing through it, then I'd worry more...

Why are you doing that? It just the tuner in the loop? AND you are only using that loop for when you are tuning?? If so, it' prolly fine to do...

- It actually seems to silence the humming a bit when I set the fx level to 6...

I remember stuff like that happening with that preamp. I'll figure it's just some phase cancelling effect of having the mix at a equal amount cancelling the hum slightly...

I would really try the tuner in the compensated output of the preamp... just have a one cable going from the preamps compensated out to the tuner, and that's it... nothing coming back out of the tuner at all. the tuner will get its signal from that and nothing else will be effected...

Comment

you need to have both outputs throug a splitter into the tuner? tried one output into the tune and didn't get it to work propperly...

Comment

Huh???

The tuner has two inputs? If it does, one should just be a secondary input that bypasses the 1st...

Umm, BTW, did you try the speaker compensated out? Haha...

Comment

that was what I meant... sorry for the confusion. I tried one of the speaker emulated outs into the tuner (just one input idd [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) and that didn't do much... in the fx loop it worked out ok.

edit: found the problem, put the two speaker emulated outs throug ah splitter into the tuner and idd as you guys said, it works just fine! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] thnx again! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ January 31, 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Svart ]

Comment

Cleve -

I did that - used the speaker emulated outs on the JMP-1 - with my Korg rack tuner for years. Works fine - I used my Quadraverb as a mute.

Mike
                          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

You guys are confusing me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Can't you just use an A\b box and switch between the tuner and the amp. That way the tuner isn't in the signal,but you can't hear as you tune [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I hate that anyway.

Which Sabine do you have? If it's one of the new ones with the red display, I may still have my manual around. I have a GCX and it has seperate output and I use that to run right to my tuner, but I can't mute it that way either.
                            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

He could do that too. But, he really doesn't need to as he already has the outputs available to feed the tuner without adding the A/B box and cables.

Comment

Working...
                              X